Ethernet Setup for Windows
Before you begin you must have the following:
- An installed Ethernet adaptor with RJ-45 plug (typically pre-installed in most computers)
- An Ethernet cable connected from your computer to an Ethernet jack
Register for Network Access
The registration process will automatically begin the first time you connect to Trinity’s network and open a web browser.
An online registration form will display. If the form does not appear, you can navigate to it at
- When prompted, enter your username and password.
- Follow the directions to complete the registration process.
- When all items are checked off on the screen, the registration process is complete.
- Having problems? Restart your computer.
- You will not need to register again until the next academic year. The http://mydevices.trincoll.edu site will tell you when your device registrations expire, and allow you to renew them ahead of time.
If you cannot access Trinity websites to register your computer, follow the instructions below to ensure your computer is properly configured. NOTE: These instructions are based on the default theme and menus of Windows.
Windows 10 and 8 – Checking for TCP/IP
- Open the Network and Sharing Center:
- Windows 8: From Desktop mode (if in Metro mode, click on the Desktop tile), and open the Charms bar (click on the upper right corner of the screen). Click on the Search icon, select Apps as search field and type Control Panel. Open the Control Panel and select Open Network and Sharing Center.
- Windows 10: Select the Control Panel from the Start menu (Windows logo). Select Open Network and Sharing Center and click Network and Sharing Center.
- Click Change Adaptor Settings
- Right-click on Ethernet and select Properties
- In the window, make sure that the box next to Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) is checked. If it is not, check it and click OK. (This may be under the Networking tab)
Windows 10 and 8 – Configuring TCP/IP
- Follow steps 1.) – 3.) above
- In the Ethernet window, select
Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click Properties
- In the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties window, make sure both Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically are selected
- Click OK on both windows to activate the changes