Health insurance coverage is mandatory of all enrolled traditional undergraduates each year regardless of site of study. We recommend coverage and benefits that allow access to local providers. To ensure universal coverage, all full time matriculated students are placed in a Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) and charged the annual premium on their fall student accounts bill. Students/Families may elect to maintain coverage from home by opting out of the SHIP by completing the on-line waiver. The waiver notifies Trinity of details of private coverage. The waiver is completed each summer. The waiver reverses the premium charge and rescinds the automatic enrollment in the SHIP. The benefits, coverage and cost of the SHIP plan can be reviewed at Student Health Insurance Plan .The SHIP’s annual premium for the period 8/1/2023 – 7/31/2024 is $2,646 ($1540 for Spring ’24 start) . The deadline to complete the waiver is August 9, 2023 (1/21/2024 for Spring start) Failure to complete the waiver activates the SHIP annual policy which is in force until the following summer and cannot be changed.
What you need to know:
- If the SHIP is waived, your home insurance plan dictates benefits and coverage for you while in Hartford and may not allow access to local providers. It is the student’s responsibility to know their insurance policy, utilization guidelines, and if obtaining a referral is necessary.
- We encourage you to confirm your coverage benefits in Hartford with a call to your company’s Member Services line and inquire about the network available in our zip code, 06106, and in the college’s Health Center (Tax ID# 06-0646927). It may also prove beneficial to inquire if any “away from home” paperwork needs to be completed to insure continuation of home benefits while on campus.
- The campus Health Center bills insurance for lab work sent off campus. Staff are contracted providers with many plans [Aetna, Anthem, BCBS, Cigna, Connecticare, Oxford and UnitedHealth Care]. The Health Center files claims directly to all insurance companies.
- All charges deemed ‘member responsibility’ by your insurance company’s coverage [i.e. deductibles, coinsurance, copays] will be sent home for payment.
- August 9– Deadline to waive insurance (January 21, 2024 for Spring ’24 start)
- August 10 to September 12 (1/21/24 – 1/28/24 Spring ’24 start) – – Petition to waive period. If petition is granted, there will be a $50 fee. If petition to waive is not granted, insurance premium remains and coverage remains active.
- After September 12 (January 28, 2024) – Coverage remains for the annual policy, no petitions will be accepted after this date.
How to waive or activate the health insurance coverage
You’ll need your Trinity email open, student ID number and insurance card to complete the waiver
Decide whether to keep the SHIP or decline the SHIP by waiving, then visit the website to complete the action, https://go.gallagherstudent.com/ . If you have any questions about the online waiver/enrollment process or on the SHIP coverage call our agent Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk at 844-288-4917.
- Go to Website:
- Under the “Student Access” menu on the left, click on “Full-Time Undergraduate Student Waive/Enroll”
To Waive Out: Select “I want to Waive”
To Activate/Enroll: Select “I want to Enroll”
Username is your Trinity email address, ex: [email protected]
Initial Password is your Trinity student ID 7-digit number with 2 lead zeros (ex: 007123456), for a total of 9 digits. If you do not know your student ID number, you can find it at the top of your task list on the Student/Starting Out Portal. If you cannot access your Trinity email address call the Help Desk at 860-297-2100.
Upon logging in, you will be asked to reset your password. Instructions will be sent to your username /school email address. Once reset, you will be able to log in with your new password.
Your password is the one you previously chose. If you have forgotten your password, please click the ‘Forgot Password’ link to have a password reset link sent to your Trinity College email address.
You will then be prompted to create a unique password.
NOTE: Once you have created your “unique” password, it will be used each time you complete the process to waive/enroll.
IMPORTANT: Print or save your confirmation page as record of waiver/activation request.
If you need assistance with the log in process, please contact Gallagher Student Health by calling 844-288-4917.
Health Insurance Grant
Grants are awarded to some students who receive financial aid. To apply for consideration of a grant to help cover the cost of the student insurance plan, enroll in the School Health Insurance Plan using the link above. Financial Aid Office will award health insurance grant funds for any eligible students who actively enroll in the plan, or are denied a waiver for insufficient coverage by a family policy.
All J1/F1 VISA students will be automatically enrolled in an ISO Care plan for Trinity College. All students must have active health insurance coverage while they are a student at Trinity. As an international student you are enrolled in international student health insurance coverage [I-SHIP] and billed the premium on your student account. More details about required vaccinations and physical exams are available on the International First-Year Student Health Form found on the Forms page of the Health Center website. Financial Aid grant recipients may be eligible for a health insurance grant and will be notified by Financial Aid Office if you are eligible for this grant assistance.
OPTIONAL – Dental coverage for Trinity Students
Purchase a Dental Plan:
a. Gallagher Student Health and Special Risk sells an individual dental plan. View the plan benefits.
b. Bailey Agency offers dental insurance plans in our area. View plan information or by call 860-446-8255 X102.
All athletes on a varsity Trinity team who are injured during a game or in-season practice should always report injuries to the College’s Athletic Training Room Staff. Contact 860-297-2575 with questions.
Trinity has an “Excess Coverage Policy” for athletic injuries which means costs for care from sports injuries should first be sent through primary/home insurance coverage for all eligible payment and then, outstanding bills should be submitted to Training Room Staff for payment through our Excess Policy.
Division III athletes are covered by a catastrophic insurance plan provided through the NCAA.
Study Away Coverage
The Office of Study Away administers an Out of Country Insurance coverage. Contact 860-297-2005 with questions.
Students who study away still need to maintain insurance and complete the annual health insurance waiver annually regardless of site of study.
Graduate Students and Part Time Undergraduates
Coverage under a parent’s employer insurance plan: For those under age 26, you may qualify to enroll as a dependent on the health insurance held by a parent. Please contact the employer for further details.