The Language Placement Exams are currently closed. Language Proficiency Exams will be open again during advising week.
This page is updated periodically. If the next round of testing is not yet posted, check this page as advising weeks approaches for more information on the next time the Language Proficiency Exams will be offered.
Starting in 2022, placement exams will take place only in the summer, prior to a student’s first year. If you are an incoming new student please click here to get to your starting out page for links and deadlines to take the Language Placement Exam.
Language Proficiency Examinations are being phased out and will be offered only to students in the graduating classes of 2023, 2024 & 2025, if they have not already taken a proficiency exam.
If you plan to continue studying a language you began learning in high school, you must take the language placement or proficiency exam before enrolling in that language at Trinity. The exam will help you and the faculty determine the appropriate level of study for you in the coming semester, and which course(s) you will need in order to complete the requirement. You must fulfill the Second Language Requirement in order to graduate.
The only students who do not need to take a language proficiency exam at Trinity are those
- who scored 600 or above on an SAT II foreign language exam; a 4 or 5 on an AP foreign language exam; or a 5, 6, or 7 on the IB foreign language exam;
- whose native language is not English;
- who are planning to study a language in which they have never taken a course before college, and so are enrolling in the 101-level course.
- who are already enrolled in a language course(s) that will fulfill their language requirement.
- who have an approved language substitution accommodation
For further details on fulfilling the requirement, please visit:
Please contact Wendi Delaney with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org