During the academic year, many Trinity students work part-time. International students are eligible to work for no more than 20 hours per week during the semester, and only in certain positions on campus. You may work for 40 hours per week (full-time) during all breaks—including winter, spring, summer, and Thanksgiving.

Process for Getting Work Authorization
  1. Speak to OISS about your work eligibility and make sure you are clear about the relevant U.S. laws and regulations.
  2. Find a job. It is best to start looking as early as possible, as positions on campus fill up quickly. The best resources for finding on-campus work are in the bottom left corner of the Trinity Today website, and on the Trinity College Federal Work-Study site. International students may apply for Work-Study positions, but these jobs prioritize domestic students who qualify for this federal program.
  3. Fill out a Form W-9 at the Registrar’s Office.
  4. File for a Social Security Card.
How can I work off-campus?

Federal programs called “Optional Practical Training” (OPT) and “Curricular Practical Training” (CPT) authorize international students to work off-campus on their F-1 visa. Other than these programs, international students must work on-campus.

What do you mean by “on-campus?”

An on-campus job is one in which Trinity College is writing your paycheck. It is work that provides a service to Trinity students. That means a freelance job you do online from your dorm does not qualify as “on-campus” work. Please contact OISS before you accept a job if you are unsure whether your status allows it.