Our office is a valuable resource for students, as well as for families, faculty, and staff. We take A holistic approach to guiding students through their Trinity Experience. If you are not sure where to begin with your questions or concerns, start with our office. We know every situation is unique. As a result, we coordinate efforts with offices across campus to help guide our students to the appropriate resources and services including the following:

  • Academic and Personal Guidance
  • Emergency Support System
  • Faculty Notification
  • Short-Term Emergency Funding
  • Dean’s Certification

Academic Guidance

The Deans are here to help you learn new ways to maximize your potential and get the most out of your Trinity experience. We can help you reflect on your learning and passions as you work to create your educational and personal goals. Students who wish to meet with a Dean regarding personal wellness or academic struggles should complete the Self-Assessment form to give us a better understanding of the issues that are impacting your progress.

Our office can also:

  • Collaborate with faculty to help guide students on their path to graduation
  • Refer students to academic and other campus life resources and services
  • Help students navigate their return to Trinity from Required or Voluntary Withdrawal
  • Provide students with the tools needed to become more effective and efficient learners
  • Help students navigate the process of applying for a course incomplete
  • Help students navigate their way back to class after an illness, injury, or family emergency
  • Help students engage in guided self-reflection and explore opportunities that complement their goals
  • Encourage students to explore different pathways to graduation, which may mean exploring a major other than the one they intended
  • Help students navigate their way back to Good Academic Standing, if they have been placed on Academic Probation, Required Withdrawal Waived, or Required Withdrawal

**Please Note: Students of any age may authorize the release of additional information to parents. This allows Trinity to officially respond to parental inquiries about student personal wellness, academic progress, and conduct. Students who wish to provide such authorization should complete the Trinity College Parental Notification Guidelines & Consent Form. For additional information, visit page 17-24 in the Student Handbook to review the Notice of Policies Regarding Student Access to Education Records at Trinity College (FERPA) and the Release of Information to Parents.

Emergency Support System

In case of emergency or urgent situations, students, staff, faculty, and families should contact Campus Safety at (860) 297-2222. If and when deemed necessary, Campus Safety will notify the appropriate office for follow-up with the student(s).

The Office of Student and Community Life helps guide students and families as they navigate challenging, unforeseen, or emergency situations that may negatively impact the student’s wellness and academic success. Support may include outreach, guidance, advocacy, intervention, and referrals to appropriate campus resources. Depending on the nature of the situation, the notified office(s) may contact the student(s) to check on their well-being and offer guidance.

In some situations, it may be difficult to fully address the situation and take necessary action until the next business day. Emergency or urgent situations can be directly related to a student’s life on campus, and/or related to their home/family life.

Emergency Situations vs. Urgent Situations

An emergency situation is one that may endanger the life of an individual and requires an immediate response. Some examples may include: concussions, unconsciousness/fainting, threat of self-harm or harm to others, severe chest, abdominal, or head pain, convulsions or seizures.

An urgent situation is one that requires care within the first 24-hours of the original incident. Some examples include: minor illness or injury, including vomiting, minor cut, earache, sore throat, and muscle sprains.

Non-Urgent/Non-Emergent Situations

We understand that every situation is different. If you would like to consult with an Administrator after normal business hours on issues that are non-urgent/non-emergency, please contact the Office of Student and Community Life via email for further guidance. You may receive a response as soon as possible, often during the next business day.

Faculty Communication

Students are responsible for reviewing and understanding the attendance policies for all their courses. Course attendance policies can be found on the course syllabus. We strongly encourage students to communicate with their professors as early as possible if they plan on being absent from class or are unable to complete their coursework within the allotted timeframe.

All decisions regarding allowances for course incompletes, extensions, rescheduled exams, or excused absences are at the discretion of the professor. The Office of Student and Community Life cannot compel professors to make allowances for absences, extensions, incompletes, or rescheduled exams.

Medical and Family Emergency

In the event of a medical or family emergency, where the student may be absent for 2 or more days, we encourage them to communicate directly with their professors and faculty advisors. If students are unable to communicate with their professors and faculty advisor due to emergency circumstances (i.e. hospitalization), parents, guardians, or family members may contact the Office of Student and Community Life on the student’s behalf. Our office will notify professors on behalf of the student.

Family emergencies may include but are not limited to death of a loved one, serious illness, or other highly sensitive matters. Medical emergencies, may include but are not limited to hospitalization, serious illness, concussions, or other highly sensitive matters. The Health Center may also aid with the notification process in the case of serious physical harm or illness and concussions. For more guidance, students should refer to Navigating Your Way Back To Class From Illness Or Injury.


We strongly encourage students to provide medical and/or personal documentation when requesting allowances for absences, extending deadlines for coursework, or rescheduling exams. Medical and/or personal documentation may include a diagnosis, date of onset, impact of diagnosis on academic progress, treatment plan, and expected return. Documentation may be submitted confidentially to the Office of Student and Community Life. Students can share the documentation with other parties as needed.

Short-Term Emergency Funding

The Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion administers modest emergency loans and grants, which provides assistance to students for significant and unforeseen emergency expenses. Emergency expenses may include but are not limited to, academic needs (i.e. textbooks), travel cost in case of a serious and unforeseen family emergency (i.e. death of a loved one), or loss of personal belongings due to theft, fire, or natural disaster. To learn more about the Student Emergency and Equity Fund, please visit the DEI site.

Dean’s Certification

The Dean’s Certification is verification of your dates of attendance and graduation, and whether you have been subject to any academic or disciplinary actions or proceedings during your time at Trinity. Verification may be requested when you are transferring to another institution, applying for admission to graduate school, law school, medical school, or state bar associations. Verification may also be requested when applying for employment with government, or independent agencies. The institution or agency to which you are applying will typically provide you with the form.

We accept forms in person, by mail, or emailBe sure to fill out the applicant’s portion of the forms, before submitting them to our office. Please allow at least 7-10 business days for this form to be processed. Once processed, it will be sent directly to the institution(s) or agency. If you have a disciplinary file, please allow three weeks (15 business days) for your request to be processed. In some cases, it may be necessary for you to speak with a Dean before any information about your case is released.

**For verification of grades and/or transcripts, please contact the Office of the Registrar.


Office of Student and Community Life

Admissions Building - Ground Floor
300 Summit St
Hartford, CT 06106
Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Emergencies After Hours, Contact Campus Safety - (860) 297-2222