Note, the International Student Advisory Board has been on hiatus since 2019 but we are hoping to restart this student organization for the 2023-2024 Academic Year. Please see below for more information on its mission and goals.
What is the International Student Advisory Board?
The International Student Advisory Board (ISAB) is a student-led group meeting monthly and working to give voice to the international student body at Trinity College. ISAB exists to provide an outlet for Trinity’s international students to address their unique needs, concerns, and interests regarding campus life. ISAB works closely with the Office of International Student and Scholars OISS, The Office of Students Success, and other college groups as they relate to campus diversity and student life to make sure international student perspectives are integrated.
To provide an outlet for Trinity’s international students to address their unique needs, concerns, & interests regarding campus life.
- Help shape the international student experience at Trinity.
- Gain leadership skills through advising and mentoring.
- Enhance public speaking and intercultural communication skills.
- Build relationships with international students, faculty and staff on campus.
- Create a stronger international presence at Trinity College.
Benefits of Members’ Involvements:
Serving on ISAB provides members with many opportunities to represent the voices and experiences of the international students on campus, develop as leaders, shape OISS’s programs and policies, give back to the international student community and the college, work with other international students and OISS staff, and learn more about OISS and the Office of Student Success. OISS also provides professional and leadership development opportunities for members such as support to attend the International Student Leadership Conference, at James Madison University in Virginia.
Expectations of Members:
- Attend all meetings and represent the international student population to the best of your abilities. ISAB officially meets 4-5 times a semester and members are required to attend a teambuilding retreat during the fall semester. Members who miss three meetings a semester will be asked to leave the board.
- Members are asked to help shape the short-and-long-term objectives of OISS.
- Members will fulfill their outreach and advocacy roles by agreeing to:
- Conduct outreach interviews with two international students every semester and provide a report of the interviews to OISS (interviewees must be of a different origin from the interviewer).
- Meet with and provide feedback and counsel to other departments when appropriate.
- Serve on panels or other appropriate campus/student committees.
Requirements and Qualifications:
Trinity College International Student Advisory Board members must be currently enrolled Trinity students, and in good academic standing. Board members must be available to attend monthly meetings, and should expect to dedicate at least 5 hours per month (8 hours for the chair).
- Serve as a forum for international student feedback on their experience at Trinity College.
- Increase international student visibility and collaboration with campus offices through outreach and education about international student needs.
- Provide leadership training through meetings, presentations, and other interactions with the TC community.