Home School Tuition

​Trinity College Home School Tuition (HST) Policy Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Students and their families are responsible for understanding the Home School Tuition (HST) policy and should carefully review the information included in these Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).

What does Home School Tuition (HST) mean?

Through Trinity’s new “Home School Tuition” policy, students pay Trinity tuition when studying away on Trinity and Trinity-Approved External Programs (AEPs), and they earn Trinity academic credit on all Trinity and AEP semester study away programs. All academic credits and grades earned on all Trinity-approved semester study away programs are treated as Trinity College credits and grades. All Trinity College academic regulations apply to students studying for Trinity credit abroad. The courses, credits, and grades are reviewed, approved, and posted on the Trinity academic transcript and course grades are calculated into the student’s Cumulative Grade Point Average.

When did the HST policy go into effect?

August 28, 2018. Students enrolled at Trinity on or before January 22, 2019, are considered grandfathered into the old policy (which includes incurring a Trinity study away fee) and may opt out of HST.

Why did the college make this change?

Global study of all kinds is a defining, integral aspect of a Trinity education. But study away opportunities have not been accessible to all students. Moving to the HST policy allows the college to eliminate the $3,500 per semester study away fee, which was not covered by financial aid. In awarding Trinity academic credit for all approved study away programs, the new policy also makes such opportunities available to many more students and integrates study away more fully into the college’s curriculum. Trinity students paying home school tuition are eligible for financial aid on the same basis as when they are studying at Trinity in Hartford.

What if I choose a program whose tuition is more than Trinity College tuition?

Trinity will pay the program’s tuition up to the Trinity tuition rate amount. Students who elect to go on approved programs with a higher tuition cost would pay the difference between the program rate and the Trinity rate.

What if I choose a program whose tuition is less than Trinity College tuition?

You would pay Trinity tuition. With the portability of institutional financial aid for study away, any tuition surplus is returned to the financial aid pool, exactly as is done when students are on campus.

Can I opt out of the HST policy?

All students who were enrolled at Trinity on or before January 22, 2019, are considered grandfathered under the previous policy and will have the opportunity to opt out of the HST policy. An opt-out deadline will occur each semester during the post-acceptance phase of the study away application process. Students studying away in the spring semester will have an opt-out deadline of October 25, and those studying away in the fall semester will have an opt-out deadline of May 25. If a student does not make a decision by the applicable deadline, the student will automatically be assigned to HST. Opt-out deadlines will remain consistent for six semesters, ending in May 2021.

Opting out means that a student must pay the study away fee ($3,500 for one semester; $4,000 for a full year) and forfeit receiving Trinity credit for courses completed abroad. Once a student has chosen to opt out or to remain under the HST policy, he/she may not change his/her choice for any future study away opportunity at Trinity.

How will my financial aid apply to Study Away?

Students with financial aid who are approved to participate in study away under the HST policy will have their financial aid package reviewed by the Office of Financial Aid for the semester or year that they will be abroad. In some instances, the total aid amount may be adjusted, based on the total cost of the program abroad. Federal Work-Study wages, by U.S. law, are not portable for study abroad. However, in some cases that amount can be replaced by additional loan or outside grant aid in order to keep the student’s financial aid total the same.

Expected family contribution is developed under the same methodology whether or not a student is studying domestically or studying away. Students will be billed at the domestic rate. The cost of attendance will reflect Trinity tuition and fees and actual living and travel costs. Trinity College’s financial aid package will meet the family’s demonstrated need 100%. The financial aid package for students on study away will not include an expectation of work for that term.

Who will bill me for study away under the HST policy?

Students participating in study away under the HST model remain responsible for payment to both Trinity College and the host institution or approved external program for each term of enrollment. Students will receive two bills:

One bill will include charges for tuition and a general fee at the prevailing rates for full time study at Trinity College, to be billed by the Office of Student Accounts. Any/all financial aid is applied against Trinity College’s tuition and fees before any other charges. Any disbursed financial aid remaining after all of Trinity’s tuition and fees are satisfied will be refunded to the student or a parent borrower, as appropriate. Tuition and fees at the host institution will be paid directly by Trinity College.

The student will be billed by the host institution for tuition differential (if any), room and board, travel, books and supplies, program deposits and other miscellaneous expenses associated with the course of study. While financial aid packages will be calculated based on the total cost of the program abroad, payment of fees outside of Trinity’s tuition and general fee are the sole responsibility of the student. It is expected that any refund a student receives from Trinity College after the disbursement of financial aid will be applied against these charges.

NOTE: Some study abroad programs require that certain fees be paid up front and out of pocket, regardless of the types and amounts of financial assistance a student has applied for and is receiving. Some examples of such fees would be an enrollment deposit, damage deposit, insurance fee, round trip airfare, taxes, and fuel charges. Students should contact the host program for information regarding their payment policies. Full payment of the program is the sole responsibility of the student; Trinity College will have no responsibility to pay any expenses to the host institution beyond the host institutions’ mandatory charges related directly to instruction.

What happens if I cancel my study away plans?

Students enrolled in study away under Trinity’s HST policy will be subject to Trinity’s standard Tuition and Fee Refund policy. In addition, any additional charges incurred by Trinity College that resulted from the cancellation of a students’ intention to enroll in a study away program will be passed to the student, regardless of whether the student enrolls at Trinity College for domestic study in the same term they had intended to study away, or if they choose to withdrawal for that term. In instances of financial hardship, students may appeal for assistance to cover their cancellation costs. Appeals must be submitted in writing to the Assistant Vice President for Enrollment and Director of Financial Aid.

Can I take a leave of absence or voluntary withdrawal when studying away and get transfer credit when I come back?

While taking a leave of absence or a voluntary withdrawal, a Trinity student must follow the required process of the Office of Study Away and the Dean of Students in order to receive Trinity academic credit. No academic credit is approved or awarded otherwise.

Does the policy apply to summer and short-term study away programs?

The Home School Tuition policy does not apply to summer or short-term study away programs, which run outside of the academic year.

Click here to read the full Trinity College Home School Tuition policy. Please contact the Office of Study Away by email at studyaway@trincoll.edu with any questions or concerns.