Trinity College’s highly successful program Dream Camp was founded in 1998. Now in its 25th season, the summer camp and year- round academic mentoring program provides a fun, educational, and safe environment for participating elementary school through high school students. Former Dream Campers and Trinity College students serve as tutors and mentors throughout the academic year, as well as counselors during the summer session.
Among the chief goals of Trinity’s Dream Camp are to enhance out-of-school educational opportunities for Hartford’s children, build confidence and academic skills, and improve success in school—and, therefore, build interest in pursuing higher education. As campers enter high school and begin considering options for college, Dream Camp’s programs focus more on issues such as college awareness, admissions, SAT prep, and navigating through college and financial aid applications.
During the summer, Dream Camp offers classes in creative and performing arts, health and nutrition, as well as fitness and athletics offerings. During the summer of 2022, 167 Hartford children, ages 6-16 participated in the program. About 23 percent of Dream Camp staff members are former campers; their success in college and in the leadership role of counselor provides inspiration to young campers.
- Trinity website story, Education Extends Beyond the Classroom in Wide-Ranging Summer Internships, August 2022
- Trinity website story, 25th Anniversary Celebration and Governor’s $1M Announcement, July 2022
- Trinity website story, July 2021
- Bloomberg Businessweek Extra podcast, fall 2020
- NBC CT story, fall 2020
- Dream meals initiative video, 2020-2021
- Trinity Reporter story, fall 2017
Connect with us on social media!