Students should consult closely with the proposed faculty research supervisor before submitting their online application via the Student Research Application Tracker.
How students apply:
Students first approach faculty about the possibility of working with them on a faculty directed research project. Once a faculty member has agreed to support a student’s application, the faculty member will work with the student to help prepare the student to initiate an application via the online Student Research Application Tracker.
On the Student Research Application Tracker, students will be asked to provide:
- the name of their faculty research supervisor
- the project title
- a brief (250 word maximum) description of the research project. Project descriptions should be written in language readily understood by a general audience, as opposed to an expert in the field. Avoid jargon and technical language to the extent possible. Also required is the length of your project, which can be a maximum of 10 weeks although a length of 8-10 weeks is recommended.
- a brief (250 word maximum) explanation of how the program will help the student achieve their academic goals (e.g., gaining technical skills, serving as a jumping off point for an independent thesis, being involved in a publication, reading the literature, interacting with the public in an official capacity, practicing language skills, etc.)
- indication of whether or not the student will need on campus housing to conduct the research project. All students are expected to work with faculty in person this summer.
How faculty supervisors participate:
Once the student submits their application, the faculty research supervisor will be asked to provide the following information on the online Student Research Application Tracker:
- a list of the specific tasks the student researcher would perform including the length of the project, which can be a maximum of 10 weeks although a length of 8-10 weeks is recommended
- brief description of the anticipated educational benefit to the student. Note: only those projects which the committee judges to have educational benefit will be considered.
If you have any questions, please contact [email protected].