The Minor in Music: The minor in music is designed to introduce students to a range of topics in music that includes the fundamentals of music theory as well as traditions in world, Western, and American popular music. Students who elect the minor in music will also perform in one of the department’s numerous ensembles for at least two semesters.
The minor consists of six courses:
- One course in music practices and musicianship:
- MUSC 101. Basic Musicianship
- MUSC 201. Diatonic Harmonic Practice
- One course in music history and literature or repertoire and listening:
- MUSC 121. Listen!
- MUSC 268. Mozart and Beethoven
- One course in music’s intersection with culture, class, gender, or politics:
- MUSC 113. Introduction to World Music
- MUSC 133. Blues Women to Nicki Minaj
- MUSC 150. Before Lady Gaga and Beyoncé
- MUSC 218. American Popular Music
- MUSC 219. Toca Brasil! (Play Brazil!)
- MUSC 274. Jazz: 1900 to the Present
- Two elective courses in the department, approved by the adviser or chair.
- Two semesters of departmental performance activities with a maximum of one semester of MUSC 107. Music Lessons.