Trinity students interested in teaching and youth work are encouraged to explore different pathways that match their current experience and personal goals. As a first step, the Educational Studies faculty strongly recommend that you enroll in our introductory Educ 200: Analyzing Schools course, which integrates coursework with a three-hour-per-week participant-observation placement in a nearby Hartford public school classroom. See also several youth mentoring and tutoring opportunities organized by Trinity’s Center for Hartford Engagement and Research.

Learn more about different post-bachelor degree pathways to public school teaching certification, typically in three categories:

  1. Alternate Route programs: usually defined as an intensive summer training program prior to leading your own classroom in September, with full pay, while continuing training during your first years on the job to earn state teacher certification.
  2. Teacher Residency programs: usually defined as training with a more gradual transition from apprentice teacher to leading one’s own classroom later during the first year, with part- or full-time pay, while continuing training on the job to earn state teacher certification.
  3.  Graduate school programs: usually defined as 1-2 years of training for a master’s degree, with a student teaching component, but usually while paying tuition and/or receiving a scholarship, rather than earning a salary.

Schedule a meeting with the Director of Educational Studies to discuss which pathways might be a good match for you.

See also Trinity alumni short video interviews to learn about different pathways they have taken to teaching and youth work. Contact the Director of Educational Studies to request an introduction to communicate directly with any alumni featured in our videos.

Note that Trinity’s consortial arrangement with the University of St. Joseph teacher preparation program ended in 2023 due to the dissolution of the Hartford Consortium for Higher Education, which enabled students to easily transfer credits and tuition costs between institutions.

Note that teaching positions in private schools, and many international schools, do not require state-approved certification.