Students applying for Admission to any of the graduate or professional careers in the medical field require a variety of pre-requisite courses and real-world experiences. This Experiential certificate serves as a guide to help students gain experiences essential to be competitive for admission to these post-graduate programs. Many of these requirements traditionally do not carry credit toward the undergraduate degree at Trinity. This experiential certificate will allow students to receive credit for the necessary experiences that will make them strong candidates to post-graduate programs in medicine, dentistry, nursing and related healthcare fields.

Students must complete 3 credits from the following and at least 1 credit from each of the 2 categories.

Credits 1 and 2:
College courses related to medicine and health

Completion of the Health Fellows Program (Completes 2 academic credits)
AMST 405 – Meds, Eds, Slot Machines, and Stadiums: Culture Industries and the New Urban Economy
ANTH 245 – Anthropology and Global Health
ANTH 215 – Medical Anthropology
ANTH 211 – Anthropology of Infectious Diseases
BIOL 121 – Human Health and Nutrition
BIOL 207 – Metabolic Health
ECON 307 – Health Economics
ECON 217 – Economics of Health and Health Care
NESC 212 – Landscape Planning and Environmental Education for Brain Health
NESC 248 – Nature and Brain Health: From Urban Places to Wild Spaces
PHIL 311 – Philosophy of Medicine and Epidemiology
PSYC 207 – Developmental Disabilities and Mental Health
PSYC 219 – Science and Practice of Well-Being
PSYC 237 – Health Psychology
RELG 260 – Meditation, Medicine, and the Mind
RELG 390 – Medicine, Health, & Society

Other courses may be allowed at the discretion of the faculty sponsor.

Credit 3:
Serving as a TA for any of the academic courses listed above
J-term courses with significant healthcare related content
Approved summer research internship with significant healthcare related content
Completion of an internship (— 399) with significant healthcare related content (several potential departmental designations)

Other experiences may be allowed with approval from the faculty sponsor.


For more information, students should contact Professor Charles Swart.