Public school teacher licensure while earning an undergraduate degree at Trinity, via the consortial program with University of Saint Joseph in West Hartford, CT. 
Trinity  undergraduates may enroll in the state-approved teacher preparation program at University of Saint Joseph (USJ) while simultaneously completing their Trinity major and graduation requirements. Through the Hartford Consortium for Higher Education, tuition and credits easily transfer between the two campuses. Teacher licensure is available in the following areas:
1) Elementary Education (1-6)
2) Secondary Education (7-12) by subject area (e.g. Biology, English, Mathematics, Social Studies, Spanish, etc.)
3) Special Education (K-12)For Trinity students, the USJ teacher licensure program requires the selection of an appropriate major at Trinity, plus additional coursework at USJ (typically the equivalent of 8-12 Trinity credits). See program requirements:

Four Trinity courses align with USJ licensure courses and must be taken at Trinity when available (such as Ed 200: Analyzing Schools, Psyc 295: Child Development, Psyc 236: Adolescent Psychology, and Educ 218: Special Education).Trinity students interested in the USJ licensure program should first contact the Director of the Educational Studies Program at Trinity to discuss their plans. Afterwards, make a second appointment with the USJ advisor for Trinity students, USJ Education Department Chair Professor Isaac Gottesman.

USJ licensure application criteria include:
  • minimum cumulative GPA of 2.67
  • undergraduate transcripts
  • selection of appropriate academic major (at Trinity)
  • two letters of recommendation (at least one from an Ed Studies faculty member at Trinity)
  • personal essay
  • interview with USJ education faculty team
  • planned program of course requirements, signed by USJ Licensure Officer
Note that Praxis Core is no longer required for admission but is still required for licensure. A waiver for Praxis Core is possible with a combined SAT of 1,100 or more, with no less than 450 in either math or verbal subtests.
Trinity students interested in the USJ licensure program may enroll in up to 2 USJ education courses prior to applying and being accepted into the program. To enroll in USJ courses via the consortium, see the Trinity Registrar.

FAQ’s about USJ teacher licensure program & consortium with Trinity:

  1. Can I finish my licensure program within four years (before graduating from Trinity)?
    In most cases, if the required courses at both institutions are carefully planned, teacher candidates are able to complete both the degree and licensure program in four years.  If that is not possible, teacher candidates may return to the University of Saint Joseph after finishing their Trinity degree to complete the student teaching requirement, and in this case, will be responsible for additional USJ tuition.
  2. Do I have to pay extra tuition to USJ?
    If the student completes both their Trinity degree and their USJ licensure requirements within four years, there is no additional expense above the student’s full-time Trinity tuition, since the University of Saint Joseph and Trinity College both belong to the Hartford Consortium for Higher Education. When Trinity students register for USJ courses via the Trinity Registrar’s Office, all credits and tuition transfer automatically between the institutions.
  3. Is transportation provided between Trinity and USJ?
    No shuttle service is offered between the two institutions. Public transportation may take an hour (or more) each way. Most Trinity students enrolled in USJ courses require access to a car or share rides.
  4. Are academic calendars and course schedules the same at Trinity and USJ?
    No. Each college follows its own vacation calendar and start/stop times for classes. Trinity students who enroll at USJ must balance their responsibilities at both campuses.
  5. When do I have to apply to USJ?
    Trinity students may wish to take 1 or 2 courses at USJ to determine if the program is a good match before formally applying. (Trinity students may not enroll in more than 2 USJ education courses unless they have been admitted to the program.) To select an appropriate course, meet with the Director of the Educational Studies Program at Trinity or the USJ advisor for Trinity students (see contact info above). 
  6. With what other states does Connecticut have reciprocity for certification/licensure?
    The Connecticut State Department of Education has reciprocity with over 35 other states.  Teacher licensure candidates seeking out of state licensure must meet all testing requirements in these states.
  7. Which courses at Trinity count for the racial diversity requirement at USJ?
    EDUC 309, Race, Class, and Educational Policy, or EDUC 307, Latinos in Education. Additionally, University of Saint Joseph requires EDUC 251, Teaching in Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Classrooms, which is State-approved to meet the second language learning and acquisition standard.
  8. If I study abroad, can I count education courses taken abroad toward my licensure program at USJ?
    No. Courses taken abroad may be used to meet Trinity major and degree requirements, but licensure courses are specified on the University of Saint Joseph State-approved licensure programs in elementary and secondary education.

See also: University of Saint Joseph’s website, specifically the Department of Education & Special Education
See also: Connecticut Department of Education, specifically Certification information
See also: Connecticut Department of Higher Education, specifically the Minority Teacher Incentive Grant