Before attending your first career coaching appointment, read our Career Coaching Agreement to learn what to expect from your session.
Our career coaching appointments are:
- Student-led. You are the expert on you, we are here to help you explore, design, and build your career.
- Action-oriented. You will co-create action steps with your career coach that you can complete between appointments to achieve your goals.
- Outcomes-oriented. You will be able to define your appointment goals with your career coach to ensure your appointment addresses your needs.
Career Coach Expectations:
- Review your appointment request in advance of the meeting.
- Spend 25-30 minutes with you to address the topic of your choosing.
- Be available for future appointments or correspondence if you need additional support.
- Provide a safe space for reflection, pose insightful questions, connect you to internal and external resources, direct you to career community specific resources, and share strategies for building connections.
- Arrive on time; come prepared with questions, and a notebook or personal note-taking device.
- Be prepared to share your goals for the appointment or attending career coaching.
- Examples: I’d like to tailor my résumé to a specific application or I’d like to explore my career options and work on goal setting.
- Take ownership of your career goals and journey.
- Personal ownership might include being open to reflective conversations, engaging in recommended activities, or completing action steps between appointments.
- If you require accommodations for your appointment, please include a note in your appointment request or email your career coach in advance.
- If you can no longer attend your appointment, please cancel your appointment in Handshake within 24 hours to free up the time for another student.