International SOS

The Office of Study Away is pleased to partner with International SOS to support the health, safety and well-being of students during their semester abroad. International SOS offers top-of-the-line coverage, and is the market leader in international medical and travel security services, counting nearly two-thirds of all Fortune Global 500 companies as clients

This is a mandatory benefit that cannot be waived, and is built into the study away comprehensive fee. Students should remain enrolled in the health insurance through your family or home university but it is essential for students to also have international health insurance that includes services not offered through most regular insurance policies, such as emergency medical evacuation, family reunion insurance, repatriation, and safety/political evacuation.  The goal of Trinity and ISOS is to educate students about health and safety abroad in an effort to minimize the need for assistance but should the need arise,  International SOS has a global infrastructure that includes 27 assistance centers, 5,200 medical professionals, 46 clinics and 82,000 accredited providers. 

The Trinity/ISOS insurance program consists of two parts: Medical insurance and Travel Assistance. Prior to departure, students will be provided with a policy number which will allow them to access the Trinity portal on the ISOS website. For a complete description of coverage, please refer to the Summary of Benefits and FAQs document available for download here.

Medical Insurance

The ISOS policy covers students for both new and pre-existing medical conditions anywhere they travel abroad (not just in their program country), with the exception of dental and injuries sustained as a result of extreme and risky behavior (bungee-jumping, sky-diving, etc.) which are not covered.  Should students need medical attention for any reason, they must contact ISOS directly to activate a case and information about how to do this will be provided to students prior to the start of their program.   

Travel Assistance

The ISOS policy also provides travel assistance.  All students must create an account in My Trips through which they must upload all travel itineraries throughout the course of their time abroad.  This will enable the Trinity Office of Study Away to check in with them in the event of an emergency.  There is also a Travel Assistance App that can be downloaded onto students phone which will send safety and security updates.  Students will be provided with more information about this prior to their departure.

IFSA-Butler Insurance

Important Note: Trinity in Buenos Aires students will also receive international health insurance through IFSA-Butler. This is an IFSA-Butler requirement that cannot be waived. For more information on IFSA-Butler's insurance program, please see here. Once on-site in Argentina, students will be double-covered and can choose between their two policies if they require medical or travel assistance; Trinity and IFSA staff are available to assist with this process once students have arrived in-country.

General Medical Recommendations

It is advisable to have routine medical and dental examinations before you go to make sure you are in good health. It is also important to check that your vaccinations for measles, meningitis, mumps, rubella, polio, diphtheria, tetanus are current.

No special immunizations are needed for travel to Argentina.  If you expect to travel outside of Argentina, you may wish to contact the Center for Disease Control at (404) 332-4559 for recorded messages on health precautions and immunization requirements for travel to other countries.  You can also visit the website at

Be aware that the manner in which medical help is obtained, the way patients are treated, the conditions of overseas medical facilities, and how health care is afforded often present marked differences from U.S. practices. U.S. health care values, assumptions, and methods are not universally practiced. Indeed, even the notions regarding the onset of illness or points at which expert attention is required are to some degree cultural phenomena.

If you have a physical or psychological problem that requires ongoing treatment by a doctor, you should consult with your physician or mental health professional about the prospect of studying abroad.

Trinity College does not employ mental health professionals at any of our programs, nor is mental health treatment widely accessible or comparable to mental health treatment in the U.S. In our admission process, we do not discriminate against individuals who have had any type of emotional or psychological problem.  However, for your own welfare, we ask that if you have had any emotional or psychological problem, you consult with a mental health professional in this country to discuss the potential stress of study abroad, and to provide us with specific information concerning your psychological health (i.e., if you ever experience anxiety, depression, etc.), and to be aware that English-speaking counselors are not readily available to program participants.

If you are on medication, discuss with your physician the type of care you may need while abroad and the best way to continue your regimen. You must also determine if your medication is legal to bring into your destination country, and if you will be able to obtain additional medication.  For example, it is illegal to bring certain medications for ADHD into Japan.  Notify the OSA if you have any chronic conditions that require special care.

When traveling, bring your own basic drugstore supplies, such as ibuprofen or Tylenol, motion sickness medication, laxatives, antacids, antihistamines, decongestants, antiseptics, and band-aids. Make sure all medications are in their labeled bottles, and carry a copy of the written prescription with the generic names. Do the same with glasses and contact lenses.  Bring an extra pair of glasses and/or contact lenses; also be sure to bring contact lens solution. You may not find the kind that you use abroad. If you have a health condition that could be serious (such as diabetes, an allergy to penicillin, etc.), wear a Medic Alert bracelet.

HIV/AIDS remains a serious health threat to millions of people worldwide. Advances in treatments in the U.S. have led to a complacency and reckless behavior among many college-aged Americans. ALL travelers should protect themselves when engaging in sexual activity. Latex condoms (used with a water-based lubricant) are the most effective form of protection should you choose to be sexually active. WOMEN are at greatest risk, but safe-sex precautions must apply to everyone studying away, regardless of gender or sexual orientation. AIDS (and other STDs) do not discriminate.

Probably the most common ailment for all international travelers is diarrhea caused by contaminated food or drink.  It is important to exercise caution with the food and water that you consume. In Italy it is generally safe to consume tap water, but that standard will vary when you travel outside the country.

 In summary:

  • You should try to arrange for a physical checkup, eye examination, and dental work to be done before you depart for your program.
  • Recurring or chronic health problems:  If you have any long-term medical problems about which the on-site program staff should be made aware, bring a legible doctor’s record with you.  Also, if you are allergic to certain medications, let them know.
  • Medications:  If you take prescription drugs, bring what you will need while you are away from home.  Be sure to have the medication in its original container. Bring a legible (preferably typed) letter explaining what your medicine is for.  This is especially important if you are bringing syringes with you.
  • Please note that women’s health concerns are much more difficult to address in a foreign country, most notably in the area of pregnancy (testing, morning after pills, etc.)
  • Contact lenses, eyeglasses:  Consider bringing an extra pair of contacts or glasses and/or their prescriptions with you.  Remember also to bring plenty of your cleaning and other lens fluids.  The solutions sold overseas are not always the same and are very expensive.
  • Bring a small first aid kit: with medications for headache, motion sickness, cold/cough, first aid crème and band-aids. While there is a first aid kit in the Director’s office, having one available for your travels is highly desirable.