Do I need to reapply for financial aid every year?

Yes. Each year you must complete a renewal FAFSA, and submit all supporting tax returns and documentation by Trinity's published deadline.

Please click on our Renewal Application Instruction Sheet to guide you through the process.

 Note: Failure to meet the published deadline will result in a decrease in Trinity Grant assistance of $300 per month until all required documents have been received.

What is Trinity's published deadline for reapplying for financial aid in future years?

Required Documents 
Due Date
Renewal FAFSA February 1
TC Aid Application February 1
Custodial parent tax returns & W-2s   February 1
Other supporting documentation  Upon Request 

Will my financial aid award remain the same for all four years of study at Trinity? 

Trinity determines your eligibility for financial aid based on calculated need. Each year we will review your family's current income, assets, household size, number attending college, and special financial circumstances to determine your continued need for assistance. If your circumstances and costs remain unchanged your need for assistance will remain the same provided that you meet the published deadline and continue to make satisfactory academic progress toward your degree.

How does Trinity define satisfactory academic progress? Is there a minimum GPA required to keep my financial aid award? 

Federal regulations require Trinity to have a written Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy.  The College’s SAP policy is outlined in the Student Handbook.  It is also available online and in print upon request.  Trinity’s SAP policy includes the required GPA that must be maintained in order for you to remain eligible for your financial aid.

If I do not complete my undergraduate degree within four years, will I be eligible to receive financial aid until I complete my degree requirements?

Institutional Funds: Need-based institutional aid assistance is limited to eight semesters of enrollment at Trinity or at an approved study away program.  Students who are unable to complete their degrees within eight semesters of enrollment and wish to receive an additional semester of aid must complete and submit the Institutional Aid Appeal form to the Financial Aid Office.    

Federal Funds: Federal guidelines allow for receipt of federal financial aid for up to ten semesters of enrollment.  Students who are unable to complete their degrees within ten semesters of enrollment and wish to receive an additional semester of aid must complete and submit the Federal Aid Appeal form to the Financial Aid Office.  

**Aid eligibility for transfer students is prorated based on accepted transfer credits. 


What changes in my family's financial circumstances will affect my financial aid award? 

The most common areas of change that affect eligibility for financial aid include, but are not limited to, the following: income; assets; household size; number of dependents enrolled in a certificate or degree seeking undergraduate program; and parental marital status. 

If my custodial parent remarries, will this affect my financial aid award?

Yes. If a custodial parent remarries, federal and institutional policies require that the stepparent's income and assets be included in determining eligibility for financial aid. 

My financial aid was calculated based on two dependent students attending college this year. What will happen if my sibling does not attend college?

If your sibling does not attend college or is not enrolled at least half-time in a certificate or degree seeking undergraduate program, you can expect a decrease in your financial aid award. Trinity requires written documentation of your sibling's enrollment status. A Sibling Enrollment Verification form is available on the Trinity College website.

Does Trinity consider siblings in graduate school when calculating financial aid awards?

Graduate students are considered independent for federal financial aid and, therefore, Trinity does not include graduate students when determining your eligibility for Trinity grant assistance.
Note: Siblings enrolled in combination Undergraduate/Master's programs will be considered graduate students during the 5th year of 4/1 programs or during the 4th and 5th year of 3/2 programs.

If my parents do not claim me as a tax dependent, will I be considered independent for financial aid?

No. If you are accepted to Trinity as a dependent student you will remain a dependent student for Trinity grant assistance until you complete your undergraduate degree. Students who meet federal independent criteria will be considered independent for federal aid only.

If my financial aid package includes Federal Work Study, will I be assigned to a work-study job?

No, students are expected to contact and apply directly with the hiring department to secure a position. However, Trinity maintains an online Joblist of available work-study positions. You may search the Joblist to find a job either on campus or at a local community service organization that meets your interests and schedule. More details regarding Trinity’s work-study program will be sent to you during the summer.  You should plan to work 8-10 hours a week to earn your full Federal Work-Study award.

Do I need to accept my financial aid award?

Yes, you must notify the Financial Aid Office whether you wish to accept or decline the types and amount of aid included in your financial aid package, including any federal loans. Additional information will be sent to all students in May with information on how to complete the required Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note and Entrance Loan Counseling for Stafford loan borrowers.

Will my financial aid award be reduced if I do not accept a Federal Work Study position? 

No. Some students prefer to work off campus while others choose not to work while in school. You are free to decline Federal Work-Study without any effect on the non-work-study components of your financial aid award.