Information for Special (Non-matriculated) Students and Auditors

Courses Taken for Credit - General Policies for Enrolling in Undergraduate Courses

Registration for special students opens:
  • Fall semester:  August 1
  • Spring semester: January 1
  • Summer sessions: May 1
The Special Students Program allows non-matriculating students to enroll in undergraduate courses.  The program serves Trinity employees, their spouses and children, City of Hartford employees, and the general public.   

Generally, Special Students have a three course per semester limit, and are limited to three semesters before they must apply to Trinity’s traditional program or the Individualized Degree Program for adults.  Students must receive course grades of "C-" or better to continue as Special Students. 

Students may be required to present an official transcript of their latest academic work for review.  Financial aid is not available for Special Students, and students taking three or more course credits must pay full tuition and student fees.  For fewer than three credits, please contact the Registrar's Office for the current tuition rate.  For information on the full tuition rate, please contact the Student Accounts Office.  Full tuition and fee payment is due at the time of registration.  All registrations must be done in person at the Registrar's Office.

Special Student registration is on a space available basis.  If a course requires a prerequisite, the student must have completed the prerequisite coursework or obtain the permission of the instructor.  The last day to enroll as a special student is the end of the first week of classes for all semesters/sessions.  Special students follow the same deadlines as matriculated students regarding add/drop, withdrawal, etc.  A link to the academic calendar outlining all deadlines may be found at the top of the menu to the left.

Students will need to complete the special student application form and special student registration form.  

Students Currently Attending or Who Have Recently Attended Other Institutions

Students who are currently attending, on leave from, or who have recently graduated from another institution may take courses at Trinity.  Students currently attending or on leave from another institution must be in good standing with and eligible to re-enroll at that institution at the time they apply to Trinity. Students participating as part of an exchange or consortium program will enroll through those programs.  Students who are enrolling outside of such a program will need to submit the special student application form, the special student registration form, and an official transcript of their course work.  In addition, anyone who has attended a college or university within the past five years must submit verification from their current/prior school that they are (or were) in good standing with that school.  Print a copy of this verification form and submit it to the Dean of Students Office at your current/previous school for completion.  Please plan ahead as this form must be sent to Trinity directly from your school and be received prior to enrolling in courses.  If you are looking to transfer credits back to another institution, it is your responsibility to verify that the courses you enroll in will be accepted at that institution.

Recent high school graduates may apply to take courses at Trinity prior to starting a program at another college or university.  These students must complete the special student application form, the special student registration form, and submit an official high school transcript.  In addition, they must submit a letter from their high school stating that they were in good standing at the time of graduation. 

Audit Registration

Special students may audit courses on a space available basis, with the permission of the instructor. Students who audit courses are not expected to do assignments or exams, and may also be excluded from opportunities available to students taking the course for credit.   Audit registrations will be accepted in accordance with the dates listed above.  The last day to enroll as an auditor is the end of the first week of classes.  Please contact the Registrar's Office for information on the audit fee.  Full payment is due at the time of registration.

If you are interested in auditing a course, please contact the course instructor and obtain written or e-mail permission to audit the course.  Please bring this permission with you when you come in to register for the course. 

Current High School Students

Upon recommendation of a high school counselor, up to 10 qualified senior level students from Greater Hartford high schools may enroll in one course and have the tuition waived, paying only any registration fees associated with the course.  If you are interested in this program, please have your high school counselor contact the Registrar's Office for application and registration procedures.  Students need to complete the special student application form and the special student registration form, provide a current transcript, and submit a counselor recommendation.  The counselor reommendation needs to specify the reason for taking a course at Trinity instead of at the high school, and must verify that the student is in good standing with the high school.  Home schooled students need to provide a current transcript showing courses and grades. 

Registrations for this program will be accepted starting August 1 for the fall semester and January 1 for the spring semester.  This program is not available for summer session courses.  Registrations will be accepted on a space available basis until the first day of classes, and enrollment is subject to instructor consent.  Students must take the course for a regular letter grade, unless the course is only offered on a pass/fail basis.  Students who take a course in the fall semester need to earn a grade of "C-" or better if they wish to take a course during the spring semester.

For additional information about the Special Students Program, please contact the Registrar's Office at (860) 297-2118.  The office is located in Trinity Commons (corner of Summit Street and New Britain Avenue) in room 139. 

  • For information about becoming a Non-matriculated Graduate Student, please go to the Graduate Studies Page.