David Ahlgren Appointed Hallden Professor
Professor David Ahlgren has
been named the Karl W. Hallden Professor of Engineering. The Hallden
Professorship, established in 1955, is made possible through funding
provided by Karl William Hallden, Class of 1909. Following his
graduation from Trinity, Hallden began a successful career as an
engineer, inventor, and industrialist. In 1916, he founded the
Connecticut-based Hallden Machine Company.
A devoted servant of his alma mater, Hallden was a key player in the
creation of the Department of Engineering at Trinity. Beginning in
1946, he made a series of gifts to construct and enlarge the
engineering laboratory that bears his name. He also endowed several
scholarship funds and contributed generously to the construction of
the original Mather Student Center. A life trustee of the College from
1950 until his death in 1970, Hallden was awarded two honorary degrees
and, in 1954, received the Eigenbrodt Trophy, one of the greatest
honors that can be bestowed on a Trinity alumnus.
The previous Hallden professors were Harold J. Lockwood, 1955-1960,
Edwin Nye, 1961-1983, and August Sapega, 1984-1993.
Professor Ahlgren, who completed his undergraduate studies at Trinity
in 1964, joined the College faculty in 1973 as a lecturer in the
engineering department and was named a full professor in 1988. He
served as chair of the Department of Engineering and Computer Science
from 1990 to 1995, and as chair of the Department of Engineering from
1995 to 1999. Instrumental in the success of the annual robotics
contest, Ahlgren has published extensively and received numerous
awards for his teaching and scholarship.
Professor Ahlgren will deliver his inaugural lecture, “Engineering
Design: Robotics and Learning,” in the Life Sciences Auditorium at
6:00 p.m. on Thursday, April 29. The lecture will be preceded by a
reception in the Life Sciences Lobby.
Return to eQuad table of