Professor Curran, Chair; Professor Henderson, Scovill Professor of Chemistry Moyer, and Professor Prigodich; Associate Professors Church and Parr; Assistant Professors Brindle, Kovarik, and Krisch; Principal Lecturer Morrison; Laboratory Coordinator and Senior Lecturer Fitzgerald; Laboratory Coordinator and Lecturer Rau; Visiting Assistant Professor Thilakarathne

Chemistry is an interdisciplinary subject that deals with the composition, properties, and interactions of substances. It employs techniques from mathematics and physics and has applications in all of the sciences and in engineering. The discipline is typically viewed as having five major areas: analytical, biological, inorganic, organic, and physical. The chemistry major is structured to provide a balanced presentation of these areas. Students with special interest in biological chemistry should also consider the biochemistry major.

A chemistry major can lead to a variety of careers besides chemical research. These include the health professions, teaching, law, business, and management. A chemistry major is also an excellent preparation for a number of interdisciplinary areas including biochemistry, pharmacology, material science, nutrition and food chemistry, neuroscience, toxicology, forensic science, and art conservation.

Because of the structure of the chemistry curriculum, anyone interested in pursuing the study of chemistry, whether for a major or otherwise, should contact a department faculty member as soon as possible. The faculty member will aid in planning a schedule of courses that will permit the most direct and complete fulfillment of the intended goal.

The chemistry major—The following one-semester courses are required for the chemistry major: CHEM 211L, 212L, 309L, 310, 311L, 312L, 313, 314L, and one 400-level chemistry course; PHYS 231L; and MATH 132. A grade of at least C- must be obtained in all required courses. The Writing Intensive Part II requirement is fulfilled by one of the following courses: CHEM 309L or CHEM 311L. The senior exercise for the chemistry major is CHEM 309L.

The major as outlined above covers four of the five principal divisions of chemistry. The Chemistry Department, however, strongly urges those students who wish to prepare for graduate study in chemistry to take at least two 400-level chemistry courses. Students who wish to be certified by the American Chemical Society must complete two 400-level courses. These courses must be CHEM 404. Biological Chemistry and CHEM 425. Research (Laboratory) (minimum 1 credit).

The chemistry minor—The minor is an option for students who wish to pair an understanding of chemistry with their major at Trinity. The minor will introduce students to four major subdivisions in chemistry (analytical, inorganic, organic, and physical chemistry) with an option to also investigate biochemistry or environmental chemistry. The minor would provide a solid preparation for students aiming to pursue graduate work in areas that encompass chemistry, like molecular biology, materials science, neuroscience, and environmental science. In order to declare a minor in chemistry and to plan a course of study, a student should meet with and discuss their plans with any faculty member in the Chemistry Department. Students completing a chemistry or biochemistry major cannot claim completion of a chemistry minor.

The minor in chemistry consists of six courses in chemistry. Four of the courses are required; two of the courses are electives. The four required courses are CHEM 211L, CHEM 309L, CHEM 311L, and CHEM 313. The elective courses can be chosen from the following list:

If a course has a laboratory component, the laboratory is required for the minor. No course with a grade less than C- may be counted toward the minor.

Study away—Chemistry or biochemistry majors wishing to study away should plan well in advance of the semester or year they intend to go abroad. There are a variety of programs available and students should review the information provided by the Office of Study Away and schedule a meeting with Professor Parr, the study abroad adviser in the Chemistry Department. In recent years, our majors have studied in Australia and the British Isles.

In addition, students planning to study abroad who wish to have a course or courses counted toward partial fulfillment of the requirements for the chemistry or biochemistry major must present in writing a complete description of such courses for prior approval by the chair of the department. If approved, credit will be granted only after a satisfactory demonstration of completed work has been presented to the chair of the department. This must include a certified transcript from the institution.

Advanced Placement—Students with an AP Chemistry exam score of 4 or better will receive one course credit. This credit can be used to fulfill graduation requirements, but it cannot be used to fulfill any Chemistry Department prerequisite.

Teaching assistantships—Students wishing to serve as teaching assistants for chemistry courses must complete the appropriate form available from the registrar. All teaching assistantships will be graded on the pass/low pass/fail basis.

Honors—Honors will be awarded to students with a B+ average (3.33 or better) in all courses required for the major. A student must also complete at least one course credit of laboratory research (CHEM 425) approved by the Chemistry Department and earn a grade of at least B+.

Senior thesis—A senior thesis requires a substantial amount of laboratory work. Students contemplating writing a thesis should therefore consult with their research advisers in their junior year. A Chemistry Department thesis application form (available from the chemistry secretary) must be submitted to the chair of the department by the end of the first week of classes of the fall semester of their senior year. Chemistry faculty members will evaluate applications. Students whose thesis applications are approved will enroll in CHEM 499. Senior Thesis for 1 credit in the spring semester of their senior year and participate in the departmental seminar series. Students who enroll in CHEM 498. Senior Thesis Part I in the fall will be required to enroll in Thesis Part II in the spring.

Fall Term

Spring Term