William P. Scully ’61

Bill Scully remembers his time and his friendships at Trinity fondly. His close friendships with classmates who later served in the Vietnam War, some of whom died while serving, was the motivation behind Bill and his wife Marlynn establishing five endowed scholarships in their memory. Says Bill, “These men met the call of our country, served with considerable distinction, and they never received the recognition they deserve.” In addition, Bill created two endowed funds to support Trinity golf and men’s basketball. He played on both teams while at Trinity, and his support of these teams helps to strengthen the scholar-athlete approach that Bill feels is an important aspect of an education at the College. Bill established the “Thank You, Dean Lacy" William P. Scully ’61 Scholarship Fund in honor of O. W. Lacy, who served as Dean of Students from 1958-1964. Bill and Marlynn were recognized for their philanthropy when their names were placed on Trinity’s Wall of Honor in 2010 and Bill received the Alumni Medal for Excellence at his 50th Reunion.

Bill and Marlynn’s dedication to education is also evident in their long-time support of the Trinity-Pawling School, which Bill attended, located 70 miles north of New York City. The couple funded the building of a new, larger, more energy-efficient dining hall, new faculty housing, upgraded tennis courts, and an all-turf sports field.

Prior to his retirement, Bill was a general partner in the investment firm Twin Oaks Partners in Chatham, New Jersey. Bill began his professional career on Wall Street in research and sales.

He is currently involved in two volunteer activities as vice-president of Riverside Theatre and vice-chairman of the Indian River Medical Center Foundation in Vero Beach, FL. In his spare time, he enjoys playing golf and is a member of the U.S. Senior Golf Association.