Vieques Island Solidarity
Reportaje sobre la
El Nuevo Dia Interactivo's Vieques Site
Vieques News Articles [in Spanish]:
US Navy Report on David Sanes's Death
"Vieques-Island.com" page on the
Puerto Rican Government's Special
Commission on Vieques Island
Redevelopment Plan for Vieques
Maps of Puerto Rico
- Detailed Maps with ALL Puerto Rican Municipios and Barrios: Eastern | Western
- Note: these two maps were scanned from a U.S. Census Bureau report. They are very large files, 6.55MB each, saved in Adobe Acrobat PDF format. To view them, of course, you need the Adobe Acrobat Reader. The PDF format allows you easier zooming in and out of specific areas.
Arts and Culture
- Alter Arte - by Melba Miranda
- "A Structuralist Analysis of Puerto Rican Santería" - An essay by Lily Díaz, archived in Austria!
- Boricuas Bestiales - Webzine on Puerto Rican rock, in Spanish.
- Ciudad Seva - Website of Prof. Luis López Nieves, author of the famous/infamous/notorious story.
- Cuarto de Quenepón - The leading Webzine on contemporary Puerto Rican culture.
- Danza Puertorriqueña - A criollo genre, originated in the 19th century.
- Fideicomiso de Conservación / The Conservation Trust of Puerto Rico
- Fiel a la Vega - Official site of Puerto Rico's leading rock group.
- Historic Pictures of Puerto Rico, from the Library of Congress:
- Puerto Rico, 1899-1906, from the Detroit Publishing Co.
- Puerto Rico, 1940s, by Jack Delano.
- Galerías Artesanales de Puerto Rico - Buying Puerto Rican art through the net.
- Latin Music On-line - A premiere site on Salsa, among other genres.
- Paraíso de Edgardo - Mainly on Puerto Rican music, including clips.
- Photos of Puerto Rico - by Digital Media Zone.
- Photos of Modern Architechture in Puerto Rico -- from Library of Congress
- Raúl Juliá Unofficial Website
Politics and Government
United Nations Documents
Puerto Rican Independence Movement
- Pedro Albizu Campos and the Puerto Rican Nationalist Party:
- RedBetances - [An independence site with multiple offerings.]
- Bandera Roja - Movimiento Socialista de Trabajadores (MST) & Taller de Formación Política (TFP).
- Congreso Nacional Hostosiano - An umbrella organization integrated by both non-partisan activists and various pro-independence organizations.
- Puerto Rican Citizenship Issue:
- Las Carpetas de Subversivos - By Nazario & Santiago Law Firm [The scandal and the legal histoty behind the decades-long effort by the Puerto Rican Police to blacklist anyone suspected of pro-independence leanings in the island.]
- "Nación y Patria" -- Independence site by Manuel González.
- Declaracion de Lares, 1996 - Congreso Nacional Hostosiano.
- "Puerto Rican Independence --then and now" - by José Cruz, CPUSA.
- KAL - Colectivo Alternativa Libertadora [by former members of FUPI, the oldest pro-independence univeristy student organization in Puerto Rico]
- Puerto Rican Political Prisioners in U.S. Prisons: site a [in Spanish], site b [in English]
Puerto Rican Statehood Movement
- Office of the Governor of PR
- Partido Nuevo Progresista (PNP/NPP) [Puerto Rican statehood party]
- Pesquera 2000 - Official site of Carlos Pesquera, NPP Candidate for Governor
- Gov. Pedro Rossello's 1996 Reelection Campaign Site
- Puerto Rico Statehood Web Site - By Samuel Quirós.
- Puerto Rico Herald - An online journal on Puerto Rican statehood campaigns.
- Estado 51 -- By Instituto de Coordinación Estadista.
- Rosario Ferré's New York Times article, "Puerto Rico, U.S.A."
- Radical Statehood - Puerto Rican Leftists for Statehood - One of the most intriguing controversies among Puerto Rican intellectuals over the last two years.
Puerto Rican Autonomist Movement
- Constitution of the "Estado Libre Asociado de Puerto Rico" [literally, "Free Associated State," but usually (and confusingly) referred to as "Commonwealth of Puerto Rico"]
- Fundación Luis Muñoz Marín - A non-profit foundation working to preserve Muñoz's legacy.
- Pava.Net - Official Site of Partido Popular Democrático
- Puerto Rico 2000 - A site advocating the "free association" model of decolonization.
- Pacto de Libre Asociación - A site in support of a Treat of Free Association between Puerto Rico and the U.S.
Other Politics-Related Sites:
- Consenso Nacional Puertorriqueño [a Web site organized around a manifesto by a group of leading Puerto Rican academics in Puerto Rico and in the U.S.A.]
- Puerto Rican Members of the U.S. House of Representatives: José Serrano [D-NY City]; Nydia Velázquez [D-NY City]; Luis Gutiérrez [D-Chicago, IL]
- Official Web Page of Carlos Romero Barceló, Resident Commisioner [non-voting delegate] of Puerto Rico to the U.S. House of Representatives]
- Elections in Puerto Rico [1920-1998] - by Manuel Alvarez Rivera.
- Elections Board of Puerto Rico
- "Proyecto Young" (a) Web Page of Congressman Don Young [R-Alaska]; (b) Official version of H.R. 856, as reported to the House on July 11, 1997 (PDF version) [needs Acrobat]
- Views of the U.S. English, Inc. [on the possibility of statehood for Puerto Rico]
- "A Bicentennial Without a Puerto Rican Colony" [reprinted from the mazagine, The Crisis, Dec. 1975, pp. 407-410, from Piri Thomas' Web Site]
- Puerto Rico in the CIA "Fact Book"
- Roosevelt Roads Naval Station - U.S. Navy - ["the largest naval station in the world (by land mass)"]
- Fort Buchanan - U.S. Army - [principal U.S. Army base in Puerto Rico]
Environmentalist /Ecologist Websites
- Frente Unido Pro Defensa del Valle de Lajas - An enviromentalist NGO in Southwestern Puerto Rico. Please check the information on their campaign against the U.S. Navy's plans to establish a military radar in Lajas.
- SiKeo - Puerto Rico environmentalist website.
- CUCCo - Comunidades Unidas Contra la Contaminación is a grass roots environmental organization that fights pollution of the Cataño Air Basin area in Puerto Rico.
- Guardianes de La Montaña - Focuses on Puerto Rico's central highlands.
|Click on the image to listen to Doña
Aurora Calderón, a Puerto Rican migrant in Oakland, California, sing "La
Tierruca" on April 10, 1939.
Part of the Library of Congress, American Memory Collection, "California Gold: Northen California Folk Music from the Thirties"
Puerto Rican Diaspora
- ASPIRA Association, Inc. - Community leadership development and education organization.
- Boricua.com - Check out web sites on various Puerto Rican communities.
- BoricuaNet - "BoricuaNet is a computer based communication system serving the Puerto Rican community."
- Centro de Estudios Puertorriqueños - CUNY-Hunter College.
- Institute of Puerto Rican Policy - New York City - Excellent Source!
- National Congress for Puerto Rican Rights
- National Puerto Rican Coalition
- The World of Piri Thomas, author of Down These Mean Streets
"¿Historia Para Qué?" - Representations of Puerto Rican History: The Case of Taíno History and Heritage
- Centro Ceremonial Indigena de Tibes - Ponce
- Puerto Rican History in "World Beat" Site
- Puerto Rico: investigaciones históricas, by Luis Negrón Hernández
- Summary of Important Dates in PR History, by Orlando Pla
- "The Taino Expedition: Reclaiming A Civilization's Place in History" - Discovery Online
- Tainos at Taino.Com
- The Taino On-line Museum
- Taino Inter-Tribal Council
- Taino Research Project in the Dominican Republic - Indiana University
- Taino Information in "Mi Bohio" Web Site, by José Pedreira
1898-1998: Centennial of U.S. Colonialism in Puerto Rico
- Library of Congress' "The World of 1898"
- "El Noventa y Ocho" site at the Universidad de Puerto Rico
- "American History, from the Civil War to the Present," Hist. 102 course, by Prof. Stanley Schultz, University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- "Anti-Imperialism in the United States, 1898-1935" - Edited by Jim Zwick. An excellent compilation of primary and secondary sources, both texts and graphics.
- "The Age of Imperialism" - by Small Planet Communications.
- "The Naval Battle of Santiago [de Cuba]," key moment in the Spanish-American War, part of a collection of resources on William McKinley, from the Web site of Hist. 563, "The Emergence of Modern America," by Prof. K. Austin Kerr, Ohio state University.
- The New American Empire and the Spanish-American War - In contemporary cartoons (1894-98).
- The Spanish-American War Centenial Page - by Jess M. Giessel and Patrick McSherry.
- "Spanish-American War" Web Site - by Earl L. Willoughby, "dedicated to [his] Great-Uncle Jim Willoughby who served in the 6th and 14th Cavalry at Jolo Island just after the war and to the other men who served in the Spanish- Amercian War and its aftermath."
- Universidad de Puerto Rico [UPR System Office]
- UPR - Río Piedras Campus
- UPR - Mayagüez Campus
- UPR - Medical Sciences Campus [San Juan]
- UPR - Ponce College
- UPR - Humacao College
- UPR - Arecibo College
- Universidad del Sagrado Corazón [Santurce]]
- Universidad Interamericana, Central Office [San Juan]
- Universidad Interamericana, San Germán Campus
- Universidad Interamericana, Metropolitan Campus [San Juan]
- Universidad Interamericana, Ponce Campus
- Pontificia Universidad Católica de PR [Ponce]
- Universidad Politécnica de PR
Business and Economy
- Banco Popular de Puerto Rico. [The largest Puerto Rican bank, or largest Hispanic bank in USA, or both, depending on how you want to view it.]
- Banco Santader en Puerto Rico - Large Spanish in PR
- Business Puerto Rico Magazine
- Phasing out of US tax breaks for US companies in Puerto Rico. Listen to Prof. Elías Gutiérrez, Univ. de Puerto Rico, on National Public Radio's All Things Considered, Aug. 22, 1996. [Needs RealAudio.]
- Puerto Rico Manufacturers Association
- "Puerto Rico, U.S.A." - Web Site of the Puerto Rico Economic Development Administration, "Fomento".
- Section 936 - One of the "tax heaven" measures that once served as a cornerstone of the "Fomento" program.
Newspapers and Electronic Media
- El Nuevo Día Interactivo [daily; published in Spanish since 1970].
- Claridad - [pro-independence weekly, published in Spanish since 1959
- Noticentro 4, WAPA-TV [news summaries]
- Cadena Salsoul - FM Salsa Radio.
- La SúperKadena - Excellent AM News/Talk Radio, broadcasting live, 24 hrs. a day, in Spanish.]
Web Sites on Puerto Rico's Towns
- Aguadilla, by José Otaola.
- Aibonito, by Jaime Alvelo.
- Bayamón, by Angel Villamil.
- Cabo Rojo, by Juan L. López.
- Cayey, by J. Ortiz Lleras.
- Coamo, by Minerva Mercado Feliciano.
- Culebra, by Prof. P. Johnson, IIT.
- Dorado, by Doeg Rodríguez.
- Fajardo, by Blue Water Marine.
- Juana Díaz, by Luis Rodríguez.
- Mayagüez, by Active Realty.
- Ponce, by Universidad Interamericana.
- San Juan, by Prof. P. Johnson, IIT.
- San Sebastián, by Edgardo Serrano.
- Vega Alta, by Eli Rivera.
- Vieques, by Prof. P. Johnson, IIT.
- Baloncesto Superior Nacional - Puerto Rico's premiere basketball league
- ChagoPress - Online Sports Information Service
Web Indexes on Puerto Rico & ISPs
Searching the Internet for Additional Resources:
Please consult these guides for searching the Internet prepared by the University of California-Berkeley Library:
Remember also to use the strategies explained by Trinity Librarian Susan Gilroy in the Oct. 27th Workshop:
Internet Search Engines
Suggestions for additional links and
comments alerting us to inactive links are always appreciated!
Por favor, send us your suggestions or comments to: Luis.Figueroa@trincoll.edu
Please remember, however, the strictly educational purpose of this Web site.