Director for the Office of Community Service and Civic Engagement
Phone: (860) 297-4256 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Joe Barber has worked at Trinity College in Hartford, Connecticut for fifteen years and has been the Director of the Trinity College Office of Community Service and Civic Engagement for the past eight years. Prior to his employment at Trinity, Joe worked as an environmental organizer on an urban water quality project with the Connecticut Public Interest Research Group. Joe attended the University of Connecticut where he received an MPA, graduating top of his class, and a BA in Sociology, graduating summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa. In addition to his work at Trinity, Joe is involved with transportation, neighborhood revitalization and community economic development issues. Among his current activities, Joe is the co-chair of Hartford 2000, a coalition of all of Hartford’s Neighborhood Revitalization Zones (NRZs), a member of the North Frog Hollow NRZ Committee, and serves on the board of 1000 Friends of Connecticut, a statewide smart growth education and advocacy organization.
- Quote: "If I can't dance, it's not my revolution!" – Emma Goldman
- Favorite Movies: Office Space, Casablanca, American Beauty, and Annie Hall
- Favorite Books: Grapes of Wrath, Brave New World, The World According to Garp, and the Lord of the Rings trilogy
- Hobbies/Interests: running, reading, community activism, Hartford and Connecticut history!
Nafe Tengatenga '13
Program Assistant for the Office of Community Service and Civic Engagement
Phone: (860) 297-2383 Email: email@example.com
Nafe graduated in 2013 with a B.A. in Political Science and French, and in 2015 with an M.A. in Public Policy. She serves as an advisor to a variety of student-run organizations including Best Buddies, Connectikids, F.A.C.E.S. (Friends Active in Civic Engagement & Service), Relay for Life, and PRAXIS.
- Quote: "Never forget that justice is what love looks like in public." Cornel West.
- Favorite Movies: Belle, Theory of Everything and The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
- Favorite Books: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Shantaram, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
- Hobbies/Interests: women's rights, development; running, cooking, reading, movies!
Program Coordinator for the Jones-Zimmermann Academic Mentoring Program (AMP)-in partnership with Trinity College and Hartford Magnet Trinity College Academy (HMTCA).
Phone: (860) 297-2160 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To learn more about AMP, please visit the following site: Jones Zimmermann Academic Mentoring Program
Erinn Arbelaez graduated from the University of Connecticut in 2011 with a B.A. in Economics and Political Science and a minor in Human Rights. After graduating she oversaw a literacy initiative with over 800 kindergarten tio eighth-grade students at three schools in Hartford through the program Public Allies and the organization UConn Husky Sport. She is currently pursuing her Masters Degree in Education at the University of Saint Joseph. As the coordinator for the J-Z AMP program, she supports HMTCA middle school students and Trinity students form positive relationships and learn from each other.
- Favorite quotes: “Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win.”- Jonathan Kozol; “Smile, breathe and go slowly” - Thích Nhất Hạnh
- Favorite books: 1984, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian, Me Talk Pretty One Day.
- Hobbies/interests: youth leadership, Reel Youth Hartford Film Festival, running, cooking, reading, and traveling!
ESF-Dream Camp Program Coordinator at Trinity College
Phone: (860) 987-6209 Email: email@example.com
Matthew Proffitt joined the Community Service Office in September 2012 and has worked for ESF-Dream Camp for the past three years. As Program Coordinator, he helps more than 300 Hartford children take part in the free summer program, which Trinity has hosted since 1998. ESF Summer Camps are staffed by counselors who are local teachers or college students. Children aged 6 to 9 participate in Dream Camp's activities such as arts and crafts, games, swimming, science, geography, dance, storytelling and skits. During the school year, Matthew oversees ESF- Dream Camp's after- school enrichment program and enrichment activities, in which Trinity students volunteer as tutors and mentors.