Skip Navigation LinksTrinity College > Urban + Global > Study Away Home > Year + Semester Study Away > Trinity Programs > Trinidad > Accepted Students > Insurance



All students will receive HTH Worldwide Insurance for their semester at the Trinity in Trinidad program.  This is included in the program for no additional charge.
Although you may have health insurance through your family , it is essential for you to have study abroad health insurance that works overseas and includes services not offered through most regular insurance policies, such as emergency medical evacuation, family reunion insurance, repatriation, and safety/political evacuation.
HTH has many important services, such as information on the availability, doses, and names of medications overseas, access to provider information in countries worldwide and 24/7 emergency help. Through the HTH website, , you may book doctor’s appointments, search for local clinics and health care, and even receive comprehensive travel advice.
 You will be enrolled online by our office before you depart. During this process, you will receive an email directly from HTH Worldwide Insurance. In order to complete your enrollment, you will need to create a username and password at that time.
 Your enrollment period will begin one week before the program and end one week after the program. Once you have enrolled fully, you may pay HTH directly on-line to extend coverage if you plan on travelling extensively after the program. HTH insurance covers students all over the world and only excludes students while they are in their country of citizenship.

Medical Emergencies

Anytime a student goes to a doctor or hospital in the HTH network, HTH must be contacted immediately at 610-254-8771 (it is 24/7 and collect calls are accepted) so HTH can guarantee payment.  If they have enough time to do this and authorize payment to facility then students should not have to pay up front. 
If students go to a doctor or hospital outside of the HTH network, or if HTH doesn’t have enough time to guarantee payment, then students will have to pay for services upfront and then submit a claim for reimbursement.  The claim form is very easy and is available on the website as well.
Regardless of the situation, your on-site director should be notified of any medical situation and called upon for assistance whenever needed. 
Dental visits are not covered under the HTH insurance unless as a result of an accident
Students should also refer to the flowchart in the Pre-Departure Handbook for step by step instructions of what to do in the case of a routine doctor visit as well as an emergency.


 In addition being up to date on standard immunizations for the United States, students should consult the website for the Center for Disease Control for information concerning recommendations for additional inoculations and treatments at or call (404) 639-3311.

General Medical Recommendations

It is advisable to have routine medical and dental examinations before you go to make sure you are in good health. It is also important to check that your vaccinations for measles, meningitis, mumps, rubella, polio, diphtheria, and tetanus are current.
Be aware that the manner in which medical help is obtained, the way patients are treated, the conditions of overseas medical facilities, and how health care is afforded often present marked differences from U.S. practices. U.S. health care values, assumptions, and methods are not universally practiced. Indeed, even the notions regarding the onset of illness or points at which expert attention is required are to some degree cultural phenomena.
If you have a physical or psychological condition that requires ongoing treatment by a doctor, you should consult with your physician or mental health professional about the prospect of studying abroad.
Trinity College does not employ mental health professionals at any of our programs, nor is mental health treatment widely accessible or comparable to mental health treatment in the U.S. In our admission process, we do not discriminate against individuals who have had any type of emotional or psychological problem.  However, for your own welfare, we ask that if you have had any emotional or psychological problem, you consult with a mental health professional in this country to discuss the potential stress of study abroad, and to provide us with specific information concerning your psychological health (i.e., if you ever experience anxiety, depression, etc.).
If you are on medication, discuss with your physician the type of care you may need while abroad and the best way to continue your regimen. You must also determine if your medication is legal to bring into your destination country, and if you will be able to obtain additional medication.  Notify the OIP if you have any chronic conditions that require special care.