Skip Navigation LinksTrinity College > Urban + Global > Study Away Home > Year + Semester Study Away > Trinity Programs > Rome > Accepted Students > Insurance



All students will receive HTH Worldwide Insurance for their semester (or summer) at the Trinity College Rome Campus.  This is included in the program for no additional charge.

Although you may have health insurance through your family (which we strongly recommend you maintain), it is essential for you to have study abroad health insurance that works overseas and includes services not offered through most regular insurance policies, such as emergency medical evacuation, family reunion insurance, repatriation, and safety/political evacuation.

HTH has many important services, such as information on the availability, doses, and names of medications overseas, access to provider information in countries worldwide and 24/7 emergency help. Through the HTH website, , you may book doctor’s appointments, search for local clinics and health care, and even receive comprehensive travel advice.

You will be enrolled online by our office before you depart. During this process, you will receive an email directly from HTH Worldwide Insurance. In order to complete your enrollment, you will need to create a username and password at that time.

Your enrollment period will begin one week before the program and end one week after the program. Once you have enrolled fully, you may pay HTH directly on-line to extend coverage if you plan on travelling extensively after the program. HTH insurance covers students all over the world (not just Italy) and only excludes students while they are in their country of citizenship.

Additionally, all participants in the fall or spring semester are enrolled in the required Italian I.N.A Assitalia insurance. This insurance is primarily an accident policy, and is provided to meet visa regulations.

If you are covered under your parent’s health insurance policy, you will need to verify the amount of coverage that extends to services outside of the United States.  As with the Trinity health insurance policy, under your parents’ policy, you will normally be expected to pay up front for any medical services rendered abroad and file a claim for reimbursement from your insurance carrier. 

You should ask the following questions when checking your personal insurance coverage:

Does the insurance cover study abroad students while outside their home country? 

What is the maximum sickness and injury benefit?

Are pre-existing conditions covered?

What is the maximum coverage for accidental death?

Is there coverage for Emergency Medical Transportation/Evacuation? What is the maximum payable?

Does the policy cover Repatriation of Remains? What is the maximum payable?

How does the policy work overseas?

Do policy holders need to pay up front for medical services and submit receipts for reimbursement, or is the policy accepted in the host country in lieu of payment?

Medical Emergencies

In case of accident or illness requiring immediate medical treatment, inform the Director or the resident administrator/faculty member.  The living quarters of the resident administrator/faculty member on the premises of the school will be indicated to you during the orientation period and posted on the bulletin board. 

If neither is accessible, call a taxi at the telephone number posted by the telephone and have yourself driven to the emergency room at the SALVATOR MUNDI INTERNATIONAL HOSPITAL in central Rome at 67 Viale Delle Mura Gianicolensi; phone number (06) 588961.  Many of the doctors there have received training in the United States. 

 This hospital provides students with all the basic medical services that a typical U.S. hospital offers with the exception of psychological services.  Students should be aware that Trinity College/Rome Campus does not employ a psychologist and that English speaking therapists are difficult to find in Rome.  For daytime or non-emergency health care, TC/RC students are often treated by Dr. Susan Levenstein, a private doctor with Aventino Medical Group at Via della Fonte di Fauno 22; 06-5780738 and 06-57288349.

Doctors' fees can be as much as they are in the U.S. if not more.  On the other hand, medication and hospitalization are considerably less.  Normally, you will be expected to pay for any medical services when rendered. However, there are some services and providers that work directly with HTH that will waive payment for students. 

Be sure to pay all medical bills before leaving Rome.  Generally, one pays medical costs in cash, then submit the claim forms to the insurance company for reimbursement.

Health Measures for Minor Ailments. 

In cases of cuts or bruises, a First Aid box containing bandages and basic medications is available in the office and on Campus (convent).


No special immunizations are needed for travel to Italy.  If you expect to travel outside Italy (and especially if you expect to travel outside Western Europe), you may wish to contact the Center for Disease Control at (404) 332-4559 for recorded messages on health precautions and immunization requirements for travel to other countries.  You can also visit the website at

General Medical Recommendations

It is advisable to have routine medical and dental examinations before you go to make sure you are in good health. It is also important to check that your vaccinations for measles, meningitis, mumps, rubella, polio, diphtheria, tetanus are current.

You should consult the Centers for Disease Control for information concerning recommendations for additional inoculations and treatments at or call (404) 639-3311.

Be aware that the manner in which medical help is obtained, the way patients are treated, the conditions of overseas medical facilities, and how health care is afforded often present marked differences from U.S. practices. U.S. health care values, assumptions, and methods are not universally practiced. Indeed, even the notions regarding the onset of illness or points at which expert attention is required are to some degree cultural phenomena.

If you have a physical or psychological problem that requires ongoing treatment by a doctor, you should consult with your physician or mental health professional about the prospect of studying abroad.

Trinity College does not employ mental health professionals at any of our programs, nor is mental health treatment widely accessible or comparable to mental health treatment in the U.S. In our admission process, we do not discriminate against individuals who have had any type of emotional or psychological problem.  However, for your own welfare, we ask that if you have had any emotional or psychological problem, you consult with a mental health professional in this country to discuss the potential stress of study abroad, and to provide us with specific information concerning your psychological health (i.e., if you ever experience anxiety, depression, etc.), and to be aware that English-speaking counselors are not readily available to program participants.

If you are on medication, discuss with your physician the type of care you may need while abroad and the best way to continue your regimen. You must also determine if your medication is legal to bring into your destination country, and if you will be able to obtain additional medication.  For example, it is illegal to bring certain medications for ADHD into Japan.  Notify the OSA if you have any chronic conditions that require special care.

When traveling, bring your own basic drugstore supplies, such as ibuprofen or Tylenol, motion sickness medication, laxatives, antacids, antihistamines, decongestants, antiseptics, and band-aids. Make sure all medications are in their labeled bottles, and carry a copy of the written prescription with the generic names. Do the same with glasses and contact lenses.  Bring an extra pair of glasses and/or contact lenses; also be sure to bring contact lens solution. You may not find the kind that you use abroad. If you have a health condition that could be serious (such as diabetes, an allergy to penicillin, etc.), wear a Medic Alert bracelet.

HIV/AIDS remains a serious health threat to millions of people worldwide. Advances in treatments in the U.S. have led to a complacency and reckless behavior among many college-aged Americans. ALL travelers should protect themselves when engaging in sexual activity. Latex condoms (used with a water-based lubricant) are the most effective form of protection should you choose to be sexually active. WOMEN are at greatest risk, but safe-sex precautions must apply to everyone studying away, regardless of gender or sexual orientation. AIDS (and other STDs) do not discriminate.

Probably the most common ailment for all international travelers is diarrhea caused by contaminated food or drink.  It is important to exercise caution with the food and water that you consume. In Italy it is generally safe to consume tap water, but that standard will vary when you travel outside the country.

 In summary:

  • You should try to arrange for a physical checkup, eye examination, and dental work to be done before you depart for Italy.
  • Recurring or chronic health problems:  If you have any long-term medical problems about which the Rome staff should be made aware, bring a legible doctor’s record with you.  Also, if you are allergic to certain medications, let them know.
  • Medications:  If you take prescription drugs, bring what you will need while you are away from home.  Be sure to have the medication in its original container. Bring a legible (preferably typed) letter explaining what your medicine is for.  This is especially important if you are bringing syringes with you.
  • Please note that women’s health concerns are much more difficult to address in a foreign country, most notably in the area of pregnancy (testing, morning after pills, etc.)
  • Contact lenses, eyeglasses:  Consider bringing an extra pair of contacts or glasses and/or their prescriptions with you.  Remember also to bring plenty of your cleaning and other lens fluids.  The solutions sold in Europe are not always the same and are very expensive.
  • Bring a small first aid kit: with medications for headache, motion sickness, cold/cough, first aid crème and band-aids. While there is a first aid kit in the Director’s office, having one available for your travels is highly desirable.
  • Please note that Tylenol is NOT available AT ALL in Italy. Please be sure to bring some, if you desire.