All students studying in Cape Town must get a study permit (often referenced as a student visa) before departing for Cape Town. The visa is a sticker that it attached to a page of the passport that will allow you access to stay in South Africa during your program.
To receive a study permit, students must apply for a visa through their local Consulate. This includes providing a visa application, supporting documentation, and your actual passport (not a copy) to the consulate as they process your visa application. This process usually takes roughly 3 weeks, but can take more time depending on processing time of each Consulate. Students who plan to travel outside of the United States in the months before they depart on the program must plan accordingly.
Obtaining this study permit is the responsibility of the student (and not Trinity College), but both Trinity College and ISA staff will provide support and guidance during the visa application process.
Students should budget at least $75 USD for visa-related costs in addition to required travel to their local South African Consulate to apply for their visa. Information on each Consulate is listed below.
South African Consulate General in New York City
- Serves students with permanent residency in CT, DE, KY, ME, MA, NH, NJ, NY, NC, PA, RI, SC, TN, VT, and WV
- Address: 333 East 38th Street, 9th Floor, New York NY 10016
- Telephone: (212) 213-4880
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://www.southafrica-newyork.net/consulate
The South African Consulate General in Chicago
- Serves students with permanent residency in AK, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, NE, ND, OH, OK, SD, and WI
- Address: 200 South Michigan Avenue, 6th Floor, Chicago IL 60604
- Telephone: (312) 939-7929
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: http://www.southafricachicago.com
The South African Consulate General in Los Angeles
- Serves students with permanent residency in AK, AZ, CA, CO, HI, ID, MT, NE, NM, OR, UT, WA, and WY
- Address: 6300 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 600, Los Angeles, CA 90048
- Telephone: (323) 651-0902
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://www.dirco.gov.za/losangeles/
The South African Embassy in Washington, DC
- Serves students with permanent residency in AL, DC, FL, GA, LA, MD, MS, TX, VA, PR, and US Virgin Islands
- Address: 3051 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20008
- Telephone: (202) 232-4400
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: http://www.saembassy.org