Looking to become a leader on campus? The Resident Assistant position might be just right for you. Applications for the 2015-2016 year are due Friday, March 13, 2015.
Head Residents (HRs) are directly supervised by the Area Coordinators and assist with various administrative, programmatic and supervisory responsibilities. The Head Resident plays an active role in student learning outside of the classroom through specific, planned programs and on-going individual and group interaction. All position responsibilities are performed in conjunction and consultation with your direct supervisor. Head Residents are key in establishing a community environment conducive to maximum academic, personal, and social development; maintaining healthy and safe living conditions; and providing overall support the mission of Residential Life. Head Residents are an integral part of the leadership team of Residential Life. Only returning RA's can apply for this position.
Resident Assistant (RAs) are directly supervised by the Area Coordinator for their area. Resident Assistants are responsible for the entire residence hall; specific responsibilities relate to meeting the needs of their assigned area. Resident Assistants play an integral role in establishing a community environment conducive to maximum academic, personal, and social development; maintaining healthy and safe living conditions; and providing overall support of the mission of Residential Life.
Friday, February 13, 2015 @ 5pm: Vernon 2nd Floor Common Room
Sunday, February 15, 2015 @ 6pm: Hansen 3rd Floor Common Room
Sunday, February 15, 2015 @8pm: Elton Common Room
Tuesday, February 17, 2015 @ 8pm: Vernon Social (by the stage)
Wednesday, February 18, 2015 @ 5:30pm: Goodwin Common Room
Wednesday, February 18, 2015 @ 9pm: Jackson/Wheaton 2nd Floor Lounge
Thursday, February 19, 2015 @ 8pm: Vernon Social (by the stage)
Thursday, February 19, 2015 @ 9pm: Jackson/Wheaton 2nd Floor Lounge
Friday, February 20, 2015 @ 3pm: Jones Common Room
Saturday, February 21, 2015 @ 3pm: The Fred (Summit East) Common Room
Saturday, February 21, 2015 @ 4pm: North Campus 2nd Floor Common Room
Saturday, February 21, 2015 @ 5:30pm: Funston 1st Floor Lounge
Sunday, February 22, 2015 @ 4pm: North Campus 1st Floor Common Room
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
Applicants must have full-time enrollment status at the College. Applicants must have sophomore class standing by date of employment. Applicants must be in good academic and disciniplinary standing. An RA must maintain a Grade Point Average of 3.0 or better.
Terms of Employment
ResLife student staff will adhere to all policies of the College. All RAs must reside in College housing during their contract period.
TRAINING AND EDUCATION
Resident Advisors are required to participate in training/professional development opportunities throughout the year to make them more effective in their position as well as providing considerable opportunity for personal growth. Upon hire, a complete list of dates will be provided, however typical training timeframes include:
- Fall Training (August 2015; typically 2 weeks prior to opening)
- In-Services/Professional Development (1 per month)
- January Training (January 2016; typically one week prior to opening)
- Review the job description and application requirements carefully so you are familiar with the position and requirements.
- Spend time talking with current Resident Assistants about job responsibilities and requirements. Ask an RA if you can accompany them on a duty round, or spend time with them when they are on duty.
- Practice asking the questions you would like to pose to your interviewers.
- Get a good night of sleep the night before your interviews and eat balanced meals the day of your interviews.
- Come up with a list of questions you think you might be asked to answer, and have your friends help you practice.
- Most important: BE YOURSELF! The purpose of the interview is so that you and the Office of Residential Life staff can get to know one another better. It is difficult to do that if you are pretending to be someone you are not.
- Dress neatly and professionally for your interviews.
2. Submit additional materials. Please drop of materials to our office, Office of Residential Life, 3rd floor of Hamlin with ATTN to Veronica Young. Our office is open from 8:30am-4:30pm, Monday-Friday.
- Cover Letter. You must list reasons why you would like to be an RA, list any skills abilities or talents that you have that make you a good candidate for the position, and what community you would fit best with and why. Be sure to read the job descriptions to determine where your skills and talents may be best suited. While your input is very important to the process we have certain things in mind when trying to place an RA in each residence hall so if we believe that you will be best suited in another residence hall we will ask you to consider that role instead. If you need assistance creating your cover letter please visit the Trinity College Career Development Center.
- Resume. Please list your previous work experience that you believe would contribute to your abilities as an RA (e.g., teaching, counseling, advising, volunteering, and working with people) and all of your other work experience separately. We also ask that you list your extracurricular involvements for the anticipated 2015-2016 academic year. If you need assistance creating your resume please visit the Trinity College Career Development Center.
- Unofficial Transcript.
- References: Each candidate must have three recommendations. One reference must be completed by a non-student employee of Trinity College (faculty, staff, etc.). The second reference should be from a student leader at Trinity College. The last reference should be from someone who can attest to your work ethic and who has worked with you in a professional manner (e.g. internship, volunteer work, co-worker). Click here to download the reference form. The reference provider must complete the form no later than Friday, March 13, 2015. It is your responsibility to make sure all three are submitted.
RA applicants will participate in an individual interview held on Saturday, March 28, 2015 by appointment and a mandatory group interview process held on Sunday, March 29, 2015. Link to schedule individual interview will be live as of Monday, March 16, 2015.
Friday, March 13, 2015: Applications and additional materials due.
Monday,March 16, 2015: Applicants can schedule individual interviews.
Saturday, March 28, 2015 from 1-5pm: Mandatory group interview process.
Sunday, March 29, 2015: Mandatory individual interview by appointment.
Friday, April 17, 2015: RA Selection is completed, RA contracts are due.
Questions regarding the RA Application Process can be directed to :