Health Insurance

Health Insurance Requirement

Trinity College requires all enrolled traditional undergraduate students, regardless of site of study, have health insurance coverage.
To assist families and students who may have no or limited coverage available to them while on and around campus in Hartford, Connecticut, Trinity offers an annual undergraduate Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) that can be billed to the student’s account. This ACA compliant policy is underwritten by Aetna Student Health and managed by University Health Plans, Inc. A description of benefit coverage can be found at
All students will be enrolled and charged for this coverage.
Students/Parents may elect to maintain their coverage from home instead of purchasing the SHIP by completing a waiver to opt-out and informing us of active coverage. Be advised that if your coverage originates outside of Connecticut, i.e HMO plans, state Medicaid plans, and international plans not based in the United States, you may want to consider enrolling in the SHIP as the Trinity College Health Center (TCHC) and local providers around our campus may not be paid in full for services rendered, which may result in out-of-pocket charges/expense for you. 
The TCHC uses a fee-for-service billing model, similar to your home physician’s office. There are charges for office visits, laboratory services, and pharmacy items. The TCHC will file insurance claims directly to all insurance companies. Any and all charges deemed to be the “member responsibility” by your insurance company, such as deductibles, coinsurance, and copay, will be posted to the student’s account for payment. 
To opt out and waive the SHIP please follow this link to complete the on-line waiver.
Students/Parents who want to purchase the SHIP coverage must complete the online enrollment form before the open enrollment deadline of  July 31. Timely enrollment helps to get your information to the insurance company’s system. Until your enrollment is processed by Aetna, you will not be able to use your insurance at a pharmacy and will have trouble accessing your benefits at a doctor’s office or in a hospital. please follow this link to complete the on-line enrollment.
It is important that ALL students carry insurance cards and prescription cards just as they carry their student identification cards. The TCHC will copy the front and back of the insurance card at every visit. Should your insurance plan change, please provide your student with a current updated insurance card if no card is available at the time of the visit we will file a claim with the company you completed the waiver with and all unpaid charges will be applied to the student account.
If you have any questions about the online waiver/enrollment process or about the Student Health Insurance Plan, please contact University Health Plans at or (1-800) 437-6448.


International students

 All students attending Trinity on an F1/J1 Visa will be automatically enrolled in the SHIP.

Aetna Student Health Plan

to view the benefits and coverage offered through the Aetna Student Health Plan [SHIP] visit their site,

Health Insurance Grant

Some grants are available to students on financial aide who meet criteria. To apply for consideration of grant monies to help cover some of the cost of the insurance plan contact the Financial Aide office.

Graduate Students and Undergraduate I.D.P. Students

Please contact the Student Health Insurance Specialist in the Health Center to find out options available for coverage.  To use the Health Center you must be a matriculated student and be enrolled in at least 2 courses in the current semester.

Dental Coverage Benefits

Two voluntary Dental Benefit plans are available for purchase.
1) Through HigherEd Dental.  Preview a flyer of information here, or click to enroll Here.
2) A Dental Benefit plan is available for purchase independent of the health center,  Please contact University Health Plans at 800-437-6448 for more information.

Coverage information for graduating seniors

Click here for information about how to maintain coverage after graduation:

Sports Injuries

All athletes on a varsity Trinity team who are injured during a game or in-season practice should always report injuries to the College's Athletic Training Room Staff.
Trinity has an "Excess Coverage Policy" for athletic injuries which means costs for care from sports injuries should first be sent through primary/home insurance coverage for all eligible payment and then, outstanding bills should be submitted to Training Room Staff for payment through our Excess Policy.  
Division III athletes are covered by a catastrophic insurance plan provided through the NCAA.

Club sports

Club Sports are also covered as "Excess Coverage Policy" under a catastrophic insurance plan and questions concerning this should be directed to the Director of Recreation in Ferris Athletic Center 860/297-2104.

Study Away Coverage

The Office of Study Away administers an International Insurance coverage.  Contact 860/297-2005 with questions.