Off-Campus Employment Regulations

As an F-1 student, you may work on and off campus as long as you are in status. The two major violations of status are part-time enrollment (at Trinity this is defined as less than 4.0 credits) and unauthorized employment.

Employment included paid internships and internships in which housing is provided, but not internships for credit only or volunteer work. You may work off-campus 20hrs/week during the academic year and 40hrs/week during the summer and college vacations. USCIS authorization is needed for all off-campus employment. There are four types of off-campus employment available to you:

  • Optional Practical Training: employment where you do not receive credit for your major or degree, for example after you graduate. 
  • Curricular Practical Training: employment for academic credit directly related to your major.
  • Internship with an International Organization
  • Severe Economic Hardship

To find out if you are eligible for any of the four above categories, please contact the Director of the Office of International Students and Scholars at  The Director authorizes or provides assistance with off-campus employment.