On-Campus Employment for International Students

On-campus employment for F-1/J-1 students is work that takes place either at your school or at an off-campus location that is educationally affiliated with your school. This work could be for an on-campus commercial business, like a bookstore or cafeteria, as long as the work directly provided services for students.
Employment located on-campus that does not directly involve services to students (such as construction work) does not qualify as on-campus employment. However, work with an employer that is contractually affiliated with the school is considered on-campus employment even if the work site is not located on the campus (such as a research lab affiliated with your school.)
What are the basic guidelines for on-campus employment?
F-1/J-1 students may work at any qualifying on-campus job for up to 20 hours per week while school is in session. They may work over 20 hours per week when school is not in session (Winter break, Summer break, Spring break, etc.)
F-1/J-1 students should report their work to their designated school official (DSO), the Director of OISS, and receive a letter to present to the Social Security Administration in order to be able to receive a social security number. In addition, they should have a letter from their on-campus employer stating the nature of the job and the work hours.
Not complying with these guidelines for on-campus employment may be a violation of status that could result in the student having to leave the United States.
 When do F-1/J-1 students become eligible for on-campus employment?
F-1/J-1 students can begin working as early as 30 days before the start of classes. They should have permission from their DSO (Director of OISS) to work. If an F-1/J-1 students finished one program (such as a Bachelor’s Degree) and starts another program at the same campus, s/he may continue on-campus employment as long as s/he plans to enroll for the next term.
Can F-1/J-1 students work at more than one on-campus job?
Yes, however, their total work hours for all jobs cannot exceed 20 hours while school is in session. They may work over 20 hours per week when school is not in session.
How long can F-1/J-1 students continue to work on-campus?
As long as they are enrolled in school, maintain their status, and follow the guidelines for on-campus employment, F-1/J-1 students can continue to work. 
F-1 students cannot work on-campus after graduation unless they are continuing their education at the next program level at your school. You cannot work on-campus during the 60-day grace period after graduation or post-completion of OPT.
On-Campus Job Opportunities
When hiring, most departments give preference for Federal Work-Study students (this is a program that provides funds that are earned through part-time employment to assist students in financing the costs of postsecondary education), but this does not mean that there are no opportunities for international students to find employment on campus.
Most departments will ask for your resume before they set up an interview with you, so make sure you have on ready to send. Here is a li​nk​ where you can find all the useful information about what to include in the resume, the format, etc.
Please keep in mind that positions tend to be filled really quickly, so make sure you apply for a job as soon as you can. If there is the opportunity of contacting someone from the department you wish to work for via email, contact them. If not, then stop by the office you want to apply to as soon as you can. We highly recommend that you walk in and ask for jobs to most of these places.
Here’s a list of departments that might hire student works for the next academic year:

Access Control
Accommodation Services
Aetna Quantitative Center                         
Austin Arts Center                         
Campus Safety                                           
Career Services 
Center for Urban and Global Studies                                      
Central Services               
Community Child Care Center
Dean of Students Office 
Facilities a.k.a B&G
Ferris Athletic Center
Goldberg’s Bagels                        
Help Desk 
Institute for the Study of Secularism in Society and Culture
Mather Welcome Desk              
Media Technology   
Office of Study Away 
Peter B’s                              
Post Office
Recreation and Fitness
Residential Life
Student Activities, Involvement & Leadership                                         
Student Calling
Trinfo Café
Underground Coffee House
Vernon Social
Watkinson Library
Writing Center   
If you want to apply for a job, it is preferable to visit these offices in person or set up a meeting with an employer. You can find their email addresses here. The library and help desk have online application procedure, you can find this her​e​.