Getting Your US Visa

International students must have a visa to attend school in the United States.  All international students (including IDP students) are required by law to be full-time students in order to get a student visa.  For full-time status, Trinity students enroll in a minimum of 4 credits.

What is SEVIS?

SEVIS is the new web-based tracking system that is used by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS, formally INS) to monitor all non-immigrants. SEVIS stands for the "Student and Exchange Visitor Information System". The I-20 or DS-2019 that you received is a SEVIS-issued I-20, and has a bar code for scanning at all U.S ports of entry.  You must first pay a I-901 SEVIS fee before your consulate appointment.

Please check that all information on the I-20 or DS 2019 is accurate, sign on the designated line, and have it with you whenever you enter or leave the United States.

F-1 Visa

An F-1 visa allows you to enter the United States as a nonimmigrant to attend school. Prospective F-1 students will receive an I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status) form from Trinity College. Take all pages of this form to your nearest U.S Consulate to apply for a student visa. The name on the I-20 should match that on your passport.  Note the financial portion of the I-20 that indicates the amount of money you (or your parents) are expected to contribute at Trinity under Personal Funds. Strictly speaking, the U.S. embassy will require you to provide documents that prove you have personal funds for your entire program in the U.S. Each US Embassy will require different documentation based on the location.

Do not enter the US with a B-1, B-2, or B-1/2 Visa unless  it is marked "Prospective Student". You will most likely not be allowed to change your status to F1 if you enter under this status.

Please check the following link for F1 visa preparation: 

General Procedures on how to apply for a Student Visa at the U.S. Consulate.

J Visa

A J-1 student visa allows you to enter the United States for short-term, non-degree granting academic study. Prospective J-1 students​ will receive a DS-2019 form (Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status) from Trinity College. Take this form to your nearest U.S. Consulate to apply for a student visa.

Each embassy in different countries has particular requirements for Student Visa Application. Please check here to see the policies of the US embassy in your country.

Please check the following link for J1 visa preparation: