Q. How do I accommodate a student who is approved for access to a second set of notes?
A. This can be handled in a variety of ways. The following are some suggestions:
- The student is given access to your notes
- A fellow student makes a copy of their notes as a favor (ask for a volunteer)
- The TA takes notes and shares them
- A student is allowed to record the lecture using a recording device such as a Livescribe™ pen
- The Dean of Students office pays a student or a TA to take notes (contact Lori Clapis for information)
Q. What is my obligation to a student who requests an accommodation at the last minute?
A. You are legally responsible to provide reasonable accommodations. Students have been informed that 10 days notice is required for a professor to provide accommodations.
Q. Can accommodations be retroactive?
A. No, not usually. There may be extenuating circumstances, but this would be very unusual.
Q. What if a student presents documentation but not an embossed official letter or has no documentation but wants accommodations?
A. Refer them to the Disability Coordinator, to submit a request and begin the process of applying.