These instructions explain how to setup a Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection to access campus resources normally available
only from Trinity's on-campus network, including file servers and library databases. These instructions are for Windows XP.
1.) Check whether you are running Windows 32-bit or 64-bit operating system:
- Click on the Start Menu and then click Run. Type sysdm.cpl and click OK. Click the General tab. The
operating system is displayed as follows:
- For a 64-bit version operating system: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version < Year > appears under
- For a 32-bit version operating system: Windows XP Professional Version < Year > appears under System.
2.) Click on the appropriate link below to download the Cisco software for your operating system.
3.) After you download the file, double click on it to start the file extraction process. You may accept the default extraction folder or
choose an alternate Unzip to folder location.
4.) After the files have been extracted, it may take a few seconds for the installation process to start automatically. If it does not
start, browse to the folder that was created and double click on vpnclient_setup.exe to manually start the process. Follow the
installer instructions and accept all of the default settings during the installation and restart your computer when prompted.
5.) Launch the Cisco client interface by clicking on the Start menu and selecting
Programs > Cisco System VPN Client > VPN Client.
6.) In the VPN Client window, click the New icon. In the Create New VPN Connection Entry window, under the Authentication tab,
enter the following information:
- Connection Entry: Trinity College VPN
- Host: callahan.trincoll.edu
- Select Group Authentication
- Name: Everyone (the "E' must be capitalized)
- Password: Iga+/8TLC9 (the password begins with a capital "I")
NOTE: Copying and pasting the password from this web page to your VPN window may insert extra characters that may cause
authentication to fail. If you cannot login, please type out the above password by hand.
7.) Click on the Transport tab. Select Enable Transport Tunneling and IPSec over UDP (NAT /PAT).
8.) Click Save to save the configuration and to return to the Client Connection window.
9.) To start a VPN connection, select the connection entry for Trinity College and click the Connect icon.
10.) When prompted, enter your credentials in the following format:
- Username: cmpcntr\username (replace username with your Trinity username)
- Password: your Trinity password
11.) Click OK. An icon of a closed lock in your menu bar will indicate you have a successful VPN Connection.
12.) To view your connection statistics, from the Status menu select Statistics.