Before you begin you must have the following:
- An installed Ethernet adaptor with RJ-45 plug (typically pre-installed in most computers)
- An Ethernet cable connected from your computer to an Ethernet jack
Register for Network Access
The registration process will automatically begin the first time you connect to Trinity's network and open a web browser.
An online registration form will display. If the form does not appear, you can navigate to it at
- When prompted, enter your username and password.
- Follow the directions to complete the registration process.
- Wait 2 minutes and restart your computer.
- Having problems? Wait and restart again. It may take up to 20 minutes for the registration process to complete.
- You will not need to register again until the next academic year.
If you cannot access Trinity websites to register your computer, follow the instructions below to ensure your computer
is properly configured. NOTE: These instructions are based on the default theme and menus of Windows.
Windows 8, 7 and Vista - Checking for TCP/IP
- Open the Network and Sharing Center:
Click Change Adaptor Settings (Windows 8 and 7) or Manage Network Connections (Vista)
Right-click on Ethernet (Windows 8) or Local Area Connection (Windows 7 and Vista) and select Properties
In the window, make sure that the box next to Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) is checked. If it is not, check
- Windows 8: From Desktop mode (if in Metro mode, click on the Desktop tile), and open the Charms bar
(click on the upper right corner of the screen). Click on the Search icon, select Apps as search field and type
Control Panel. Open the Control Panel and select Open Network and Sharing Center.
- Windows 7 and Vista: Select the Control Panel from the Start menu (Windows logo). Select Network
and Internet (Windows 7) or Network and Internet Connections (Vista) and click Network and
it and click OK. (This may be under the Networking tab)
Windows 8, 7 and Vista - Configuring TCP/IP
- Follow steps 1.) - 3.) above
- In the Ethernet (Windows 8) or the Local Area Connection Properties (Windows 7 and Vista) window, select
Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click Properties
- In the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties window, make sure both Obtain an IP address
automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically are selected
- Click OK on both windows to activate the changes