Vitruvius. De architectura, 1521.
Stuart & Revett. The antiquities of Athens, 1762-1816.
Watkinson holdings in architecture and archaeology span five centuries. Highlights include:
16th c. treatises:
- early editions of Vitruvius’ De architectura, including the first edition printed in the vernacular, Como, 1521
- Serlio’s Tutte l’opere d’architettura, 1559
- Vincenzo Scamozzi’s Discorsi sopra l’antichita` di Roma, 1582
18th- and 19th-century expeditions and plate books:
- Stuart and Revett’s Antiquities of Athens, 1762-1816
- Saint Non’s Voyage pittoresque … de Naples et de Sicile, 1781-1786
- Description de l’Egypte, 1809-1827, commissioned by Napoleon I
- Robert Wood’s The ruins of Palmyra, 1753
- Piranesi’s complete works
- Charles Garnier’s Le nouvel Opéra de Paris
Other highlights of the collection:
- early illustrated works on Palladio
- Humphry Repton’s Sketches and hints on landscape gardening, 1794
- 19th century British and American architecture periodicals
- extensive holdings by Gothic Revivalist A.W.N. Pugin
American architectural classics:
- Abraham Swan’s The British architect, 1775, the first book on architecture printed in the Colonies
- Early builders' handbooks: works by Asher Benjamin, including The American builder’s companion, 1806, and Minard Lafever.
- Architects' pattern & theory books: Samuel Sloan’s The model architect, many works by Andrew Jackson Downing
- The J. Cleveland Cady Collection, a rare example of an extant 19th-century architect's library.
20th-century material relating to Meso-America.