Student carrels and lockers
Book lockers are available and are assigned by the Circulation Desk staff for the academic year on payment of a refundable $20 key deposit.
A limited number of study carrels and lockers are assigned to seniors writing theses. Applications are accepted on a first come, first serve basis on announced days prior to or at the start of each semester. Students should bring proof of class registration and $40 (half for fees and half for their key deposit).
Assigned Carrel Guidelines:
- Try to secure your materials in your corresponding locker when not in use. The Library is not responsible for items lost or stolen from carrels or lockers.
- Library materials must be charged out before being placed into lockers.
- Items no longer needed should be returned to the Circulation Desk for other readers to use.
- Library reference books, bound journals, and current periodicals should not be kept in your carrel or locker.
- Please do not place perishable items in lockers.
- The Library reserves the right to open and inspect the contents of all carrels and lockers.
- A fee of $20 will be assessed for each key lost, and must be paid before a new key is issued.
- You are responsible for clearing your locker and returning your key no later than the last day of exams. If not, you forfeit your deposit.
The majority of our study carrels are unreserved and are available on a first-come basis. Students are asked to keep them clear for others to use. Library materials and belongings left behind will be collected by the Circulation staff.
Application for a faculty carrel should be made with a Carrel Request Form available from the College Librarian's Office.
Assignment of Carrels
- Carrels will be assigned on a first-come, first-serve basis with priority given to tenure track faculty engaged in library-based research and tenured faculty engaged in the production of a book or demonstrating other on-going library research. If space is available after these needs have been met, other faculty and their needs will be considered in the order in which their requests have been submitted.
- Individual faculty members are assigned carrels for one year. Renewal of carrel assignments is possible. At the end of the Spring Term, faculty will receive notification through the College Librarian's Office of the need to "renew" their reserved carrel. Renewal will depend on demand and on the priorities outlined above.
- It is the responsibility of the faculty member to notify the College Librarian's Office when the carrel is no longer needed.
Regulations for the Use of Carrels
- In order to assure the safety and security of the Library and its materials, periodic checks of carrels will be conducted. Faculty members are reminded of the following:
- Carrels should be used for research and scholarly projects only and should not be used as office or conference space.
- The use of carrels is restricted to Library hours.
- Walls and doors must be kept free of nails, tape, and any other methods of affixing objects.
- Carrels should be kept neat and orderly. Food is prohibited in the Library but beverages are allowed in closed and tip-proof containers.
- Damage to any furniture and necessary repairs or replacement should be reported to the College Librarian's Office immediately.
- The Library assumes NO responsibility for any equipment or personal items left in the carrel.
- All materials belonging to the Trinity Library and left in a carrel must be properly checked out to the occupant. Any items not checked out to the faculty member will be returned to the Circulation Department for reshelving as will non-circulating materials such as periodicals and reference books.