Consumer Information

The following provides a brief overview of consumer information related to financial aid programs available at Trinity College. For more detailed materials students may access related web sites and contact the Financial Aid Office directly.  To access a printable version (PDF) of this information please click here.

Federal Financial Aid Programs

​Pell Grant ​Need-Based
​Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant ​Need-Based
​Yellow Ribbon Grant ​Non-Need-Based
​Subsidized Stafford Loan ​Need-Based
​Unsubsidized Stafford Loan ​Non-Need-Based
​Perkins Loan ​Need-Based
​Parent Loan for Undergraduate Student (PLUS) ​Non-Need-Based

Additional information regarding federal grant programs can be found at the following Web sites:

Additional information regarding federal loan programs including: terms and conditions; loan schedules; the necessity of loan repayment; and required loan exit counseling can be found at the following web sites:

State Financial Aid Programs

​CT Independent College Student Grant ​Need-Based
​CT Independent College Student Community Service Grant ​Need-Based w/Work Component
​CT Capitol Grant ​Need-Based
​DC, MA, ME, NH, PA, RI, VT Grants ​Need-Based

All state grants require students to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Students should check with their state’s department of education for additional application requirements.

Institutional Financial Aid Programs

Trinity Grant ​Need-Based
​Health Insurance Grant ​Need-Based
​Illinois Scholarship ​Need-Based w/Merit Component
​Hartford Alliance Scholarship ​Need-Based w/Merit Component
​Trinity CT Scholarship ​Need-Based w/Merit Component
​Trinity Posse Scholarship ​Non-Need-Based
​Questbridge Scholarship ​Non-Need-Based
​Trinity Room Grant ​Non-Need-Based w/Work Component
​Illinois Lincoln Scholarship ​Merit
​Presidential Scholarship ​Merit

Additional information regarding institutional grant programs can be found at the following web sites:

Private Scholarships

Although the primary sources of grants and scholarships are the federal government, state governments and the College, many local and private organizations offer merit and need-based scholarships to assist students with their college expenses. Students can explore these sources through their high school guidance office, local library, and the internet.

Additional information regarding Private Scholarships can be found here.

Employment Opportunities

Financial aid packages may include one or more of the following employment opportunities:

​Federal Work-Study Program (FWSP) ​Need-Based
​CT Independent College Student Community Service Grant ​Need-Based

Federal Work-Study positions are not assigned. Typically students work 8 to 10 hours per week to earn their full FWSP award. Students earn between $8.70 and $9.70 per hour and receive biweekly paychecks for hours worked.

Additional information regarding FWSP can be found at the following web sites:

Cost of Attendance

​Tuition ​$45,300
​Room ​$8,000
​Board (19 meal plan) ​$4,300
​General Fee ​$1,800
​Student Activity Fee ​$410
​Books ​$1,000 (estimated)
​Miscellaneous ​$1,000 (estimated)
​Travel ​$ varies ($0-$1,500)
​Loan Fees ​$ varies (Federal Stafford = 1.051% of loan principal)
​Total ​$61,810 (plus travel and loan fees)

Students attending foreign or domestic study away programs will have their cost of attendance and financial aid adjusted accordingly.  Additional information regarding tuition charges, billing and fees can be found here.

Application Process

Detailed information including how to apply, required application documents and important deadlines can be found at the following web sites:

How Eligibility is Determined

Eligibility for federal student aid is based on financial need and several other factors. Congress created a federal needs analysis methodology known as FM which is used to calculate eligibility for federal student aid. Many state agencies also use FM to determine eligibility for need-based state grant eligibility. Students should contact their state’s department of education for additional information on state grant eligibility. More information regarding federal student aid eligibility can be found here.

Eligibility for need-based institutional aid is calculated using an institutional needs analysis methodology known as IM and as modified by College policy. Students can utilize Trinity’s Net Price Calculator to help estimate their family contribution and determine the amount of need-based aid for which they may be eligible. The calculator provides an estimate of eligibility only; the College’s Financial Aid Office is the final authority on calculating need and determining aid eligibility. The Net Price Calculator can be found here.

Impact of conviction for possession or sale of illegal drugs on aid eligibility

A federal or state drug conviction can disqualify a student for Federal Student Aid funds including grants, loans or work assistance.  Convictions only count if they were for an offense that occurred during a period of enrollment for which the student was receiving federal aid.

For purposes of this section, a conviction that was reversed, set aside, or removed from the student’s record does not count, nor is a determination or adjudication arising out of a juvenile proceeding.

For purposes of this section, an illegal drug is a controlled substance as defined by section 102(6) of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 801(6)), and does not include alcohol or tobacco.

The chart below illustrates the period of ineligibility for FSA funds, depending on whether the conviction was for sale or possession and whether the student had previous offenses. (A conviction for sale of drugs includes convictions for conspiring to sell drugs.)

​Possession of Illegal Drugs ​Sale of Illegal Drugs
​First offense ​1 year from date of conviction ​2 years from date of conviction
​Second offense ​2 years from date of conviction ​Indefinite period
​Three or more offenses ​Indefinite period

If a student is convicted of both possessing and selling illegal drugs, and the periods of ineligibility are different, the student will be ineligible for the longer period.

A student regains eligibility the day after the period of ineligibility ends or when he or she successfully completes a qualified drug rehabilitation program or passes two unannounced drug tests given by such a program.  Further drug convictions will make the student ineligible again.

Students denied eligibility for an indefinite period can regain it after successfully completing a rehabilitation program (as described below), passing two unannounced drug tests from such a program, or if a conviction is reversed, set aside, or removed from the student’s record so that fewer than two convictions for sale or three convictions for possession remain on the record.

It is the student’s responsibility to certify to Trinity College that he or she has successfully completed the rehabilitation program.  A qualified drug rehabilitation program must include at least two unannounced drug tests and must satisfy at least one of the following requirements:

Be qualified to receive funds directly or indirectly from a federal, state or local government program.

  • Be qualified to receive payment directly or indirectly from a federally or state-licensed insurance company. 
  • Be administered or recognized by a federal, state or local government agency or court.
  • Be administered or recognized by a federally or state-licensed hospital, health clinic or medical doctor.

Rights and Responsibilities of Students Receiving Financial Aid

Students have the right to expect that 1) all financial aid records will be maintained in a confidential manner and 2) information regarding the application process, eligibility criteria and disbursement procedures will be provided upon request.

Students have the following responsibilities: 1) complete and submit all financial aid applications in a timely, thorough, and accurate manner; 2) provide the Financial Aid Office with all requested documentation; 3) to read, understand, and retain copies of all forms that are distributed; 4) to apply or reapply for any federal and state grants for which they may be eligible; and 5) to report to the Financial Aid Office all grants and scholarship awards received each year.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Students are required to maintain good academic standing and meet satisfactory academic progress requirements according to College policy to remain eligible for federal and institutional financial aid. A written copy of College's SAP policy can be requested from the Financial Aid Office or accessed online here

The College's Student Handbook listing good academic standing requirements can be accessed online here.

Refunds and Return of Federal Title IV Funds

All students who withdraw from the College prior to the last day of a term should contact the Office of Student Accounts and Loans to discuss the amount of the administrative charge that will be assessed and review the College’s Refund policy. Students receiving financial aid should contact the Office of Financial Aid to discuss the details of federal, state and institutional refund policies on their aid award. The College adheres to the federally mandated refund calculation for federal financial aid, and employs a separate institutional refund calculation for College funds. Details and copies of withdrawal examples are available in the Financial Aid Office. Additional information regarding Trinity’s Refund policy can be found at the following web site:

Student Accounts and Loans refund policy

Contact Information

For additional information regarding financial aid at the College, students and parents may visit the Financial Aid Office or contact us by telephone or e-mail.

Trinity College
Financial Aid Office
300 Summit Street
Hartford, CT 06106

Phone: (860) 297-2046
Fax: (860) 987-6296


​Director ​Kelly O'Brien
​Senior Associate Director ​Carolyn LeGeyt
​Associate Director ​Morgan Bayer Pohorylo
​Associate Director ​Shana Saccullo
​FWSP + Office Coordinator ​Jessica Crispino

Academic Year Office Hours

​Monday-Friday ​8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
​Closed ​noon-1:00 p.m. for lunch

Summer Office Hours

​Monday-Thursday ​8:00 a.m. - 4:15 p.m.
​Friday ​8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
​Closed ​noon-12:45 p.m. for lunch