Academic and Non-Academic Regulations

The following regulations govern expectations for all graduate students. By virtue of their being published here, Trinity College presumes that students are familiar with and agree to be bound by them.

Degree Requirements

General requirements for earning a master’s degree are as follows:

  • All master's degree recipients must successfully complete a minimum of 10  course credits unless specified otherwise by the major field of study (one Trinity course credit = four credit hours at other institutions).
  • All master's degree recipients must earn a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.667; students with mixed transcripts must also have received no more than one grade below B- or "Low Pass" grade (see below for explanation of mixed transcripts).
  • Master's theses or final projects must earn a grade of B- or higher. Please consult instructions (click here) for completing theses or final projects. Individual programs might have additional instructions.
  • Students may apply a maximum of two graduate courses taken at another accredited institution toward their degree. After matriculation, program directors must pre-approve courses to be taken elsewhere prior to enrollment. To receive transfer credit, students must receive a grade of B- or higher (the minimum standard for satisfactory graduate work at Trinity).
  • Students are expected to complete all degree requirements at Trinity within the parameters of satisfactory academic progress (see below). Students who do not meet this expectation may be granted an extension of one year.
  • Students who do not complete degree requirements after an extension has been granted may be withdrawn. To resume graduate study, they will be required to apply for readmission. Such application must include a detailed explanation of why requirements were not completed. Readmission is not automatic and, if granted, may include a stipulation that no more than half of previously earned credits will be applied subsequently toward the degree.
  • Matriculated and non-matriculated students who receive two grades lower than B- (or lower than "Pass" in the case of mixed transcripts) or one grade of F will be withdrawn from Graduate Studies. No more than one grade lower than B- (or lower than “Pass” in the case of mixed transcripts) will be credited toward a master’s degree.
  • Other specific degree requirements (e.g., theses, research projects) may be designated by particular programs of study. Students should consult their program director and published information about their program to learn of such requirements.

Grades and Credits (Revised)

Effective Spring 2012, the Trinity College Graduate Studies grading scale officially changed. We made this change in order to bring our grading scale into closer conformity with the undergraduate grading scale and with grading scales typical of other graduate programs. In addition, it is necessary to conform to Federal reporting requirements for student aid and other purposes.

This change is effective going forward; it is not retroactive. This means that students enrolled in courses through the Fall Term 2011 and who complete additional courses after that date will have “mixed” transcripts. That is, their transcripts will continue to reflect the former grading scale for all courses completed through Fall 2011; courses completed thereafter will reflect the new grading scale. Since no numerical value was assigned under the former grading scale, no grade point average (GPA), cumulative or otherwise, can be generated for those courses. Cumulative GPAs will be generated for the new grades only. An explanation of both grading scales and the change will appear on the key of all official transcripts.

Students who begin graduate study with the Spring Term 2012 will receive grades under the new grading scale only.

The new grading scale is as follows:

Numerical Value Grade Designation and Description
​4.333 A+ 
Most distinguished academic performance at the graduate level​
Outstanding academic performance at the graduate level
Normally expected performance at the graduate level
Substandard performance at the graduate level; not awarded for master's theses or final projects; two grades of C+, C, or C- will result in mandatory withdrawal from graduate study
​0.000 ​F  
Failure; one grade of F will result in mandatory withdrawal from graduate study
​Note:  At the graduate level, no grade of D through D- is awarded, and no Pass/Fail option is available

The graduate faculty of Trinity College expects a higher level of achievement by graduate students than undergraduates. Accordingly, satisfactory performance at a graduate level will be awarded a grade of B- or higher.

In special cases, students may request an "Incomplete." All requests for an "Incomplete" must be submitted on an Incomplete Approval Form (available from the Graduate Studies Office) that is signed by both the student and the instructor. The form will include an agreed deadline for completion of all work in the course (the default deadline is the end of the subsequent term).
If an “Incomplete” is not replaced by a regular grade by the agreed or default deadline, the Registrar will convert the “Incomplete” to an F.
If an instructor fails to submit a grade, a grade of NGR (no grade received) will be recorded. If an NGR is not replaced by a regular letter grade within one month after the beginning of the subsequent term (this deadline differs from that for undergraduate students), the NGR will automatically convert to an F. The Registrar will notify the instructor and the student that this conversion will occur.
Lecture or seminar courses, normally 800-level, usually carry one course credit. Master’s theses, numbered 954-955, normally carry two course credits. Final research projects, normally 900-level, can carry one or two course credits. (One Trinity course credit = 4 semester hours as frequently designated by other institutions.)

Honors in Graduate Scholarship

To be eligible for Honors in Graduate Scholarship, a Master’s candidate must have earned a cumulative grade point average of 3.750 or higher.  In addition, the master’s thesis or final project must earn a grade of A- or higher. For students whose transcripts contain both letter grades and the previous grades of Distinction, High Pass, Pass, etc., honors will be determined on an ad hoc basis with a view to weighting the calculation according to the grading scale by which a student has earned the majority of grades. In these cases, any grade lower than High Pass will disqualify the student for honors, regardless of the cumulative grade point average.
Honors are awarded at the Commencement ceremony and are noted on the student’s official transcript, in the Commencement program, and in the subsequent issue of the Trinity College Bulletin.

Academic Standing

Matriculated and non-matriculated students who receive two grades lower than B- or one failing grade will be withdrawn from Graduate Studies. No more than one grade lower than B- will be credited toward a master’s degree.
Non-matriculated students who receive two grades lower than B- will become ineligible for matriculation.

Satisfactory academic progress will be determined as follows: maintaining a minimum GPA of 2.667; attempting a maximum of 15 credits; successful completion of 80% of credits attempted; completion of a minimum of 3 credits per calendar year. All grades of C- or higher, of F, W, NGR, and all transfer credits must be counted as credits attempted.

Attendance, Withdrawal, and Refunds

Students are expected to attend all meetings of courses in which they are enrolled. Excessive absences, as determined by the instructor, will be sufficient cause for compulsory withdrawal from a course.
Students wishing to withdraw from a course must notify the Office of Graduate Studies in writing. Failure to attend class or merely notifying the instructor does not constitute official withdrawal from the course and will result in a grade of F.
A grade of W will appear on the transcript for a course dropped after the second class meeting. The last day to withdraw and receive a grade of W is the final day of graduate classes as posted in the Registrar’s Academic Calendar.
Refunds will be granted for students who withdraw from a course according to the following scheme:
  • Withdrawal before the first class meeting = full tuition refund
  • Withdrawal after the first class meeting but before the third class meeting = tuition refund minus $300 withdrawal fee ($100 for auditors)
  • Withdrawal after the third class meeting = no refund
  • An abbreviated withdrawal schedule applies to the Summer Term

Library Privileges

Graduate students enjoy borrowing privileges for materials as outlined on the Library's Borrowing Policies page. Specifically, this includes the following privileges as follows:

Students (total limit 75 items)

Loan Period ​Loan Renewals ​Format Limits
Books​ ​28 days* ​3 ​none
​Music CDs ​14 days ​1 ​5
Video​ ​3 days ​1 ​5
​Periodicals, Ref. ​none ​0 ​none

 * Student thesis writers will automatically get a book loan period of 6 months with one renewal after the close of the add/drop period.

Students can renew materials online 3 times beyond the initial loan period. To do so, go to the Library's "My Accounts" page, click on the appropriate links, and follow instructions.

Non-Academic Regulations

Identification Cards
ID Cards must be obtained by all students in order to access or use campus facilities such as the Raether Library and Information Technology Center, classroom buildings, and the Athletic Center. ID cards are obtained from the Help Desk, located on Level B of the Library, M-F 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Students should promptly report loss or theft of ID cards to Campus Safety (860-297-2222).
Vehicle Registration and Parking
All students, faculty and staff must register their vehicles with the Trinity College Campus Safety Department in advance.  Parking on campus and on Vernon Street is restricted to college-registered vehicles only. Motorcycles, motorbikes, and scooters are defined as motor vehicles; they should display a parking decal on the rear fender or on the windshield.

Parking decals should be affixed to the windshield in the lower right-hand corner, are non-transferable, and can only be obtained through the Campus Safety Office.  Parking decals are used for identification only. Trinity College in no way guarantees a parking space after the vehicle has properly obtained a parking decal.

Fees for obtaining a parking decal are $100 per year or $50 per term. All vehicle registration fees are billed through Student Financial Services.

For additional information about parking regulations and availability, please consult the Campus Safety web page.

Health Information Documentation
Connecticut law requires all students who matriculate into an institution of higher education to show proof of mandatory immunizations. Therefore, prior to registration for courses, all matriculated graduate students must submit a completed Trinity College Health Form for Graduate Students (enclosed with the admitted student information packet) to the Trinity College Health Center.

Please note:  The Health Center form requires documentation of immunizations by a student’s health care provider. Arrangements should be made to obtain such documentation in a timely fashion so that the form can be submitted prior to registration for courses. Students who have difficulty with these requirements should contact the Health Center (860-297-2018) which, for a fee, can assist students with the necessary immunization or blood tests to meet the requirements.

 Cancellation of Classes Due to Inclement Weather or Other Emergencies
Inclement weather rarely causes cancellation of classes at Trinity College. When all classes are canceled because of emergencies or hazardous weather, information will be announced on radio stations WTIC-AM 1080, WTIC-FM 96.5, and WRCH-FM 100.5 and on TV channels 3, 8, and 30. To see if an individual class is canceled, students may contact their instructor directly. Students should not call the College switchboard for cancellation information.
TrinALERT is the Trinity College emergency notification system that designated College officials use to quickly notify students, faculty and staff of an urgent situation using voice and text messages delivered to cell phones and other personal devices, and e-mail accounts. All students are required to enroll in this emergency network. To do so, visit the TrinALERT web page.

For additional Information, please contact:
Anique Thompson
Administrative Assistant
Graduate Studies
Trinity College
300 Summit St.
Hartford, CT 06106-3100

Campus Map (PDF)