Whether you choose to apply for matriculated or non-matriculated status, the process at Trinity College is relatively simple. Unlike many graduate schools, we do not require GRE scores or other standardized test results.
There are two types of application:
Non-matriculated (informal or preliminary status, not admitted for degree candidacy)
Matriculated (admitted for degree candidacy)
Basic elements of what we require for each type of application are as follows:
Required of All Applicants
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited institution
- Minimum cumulative average of “B-” (80) for recent graduates (consideration of professional experience and achievement also permitted)
- Demonstrated proficiency in area of specialization to which you are applying
- Evidence of sound background in the liberal arts and sciences (as provided in official transcripts)
- Graduate-level competence in English and writing proficiency
- Official copies of all undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- A completed graduate registration form accompanied by full payment of all applicable tuition and fees
There are no additional requirements for non-matriculated status. Non-matriculated students may take up to two courses. If you wish to take additional courses, you must apply for matriculation. Please note that other academic regulations apply to non-matriculated students.
Additional Requirements for Matriculation
- Confidential letters of recommendation from two (2) college-level instructors (or others) who have knowledge of your academic ability
- A writing sample of at least 3 pages (1,000 words) explaining your reasons and anticipated goals for applying to your desired degree program at Trinity
- English master’s applicants only: an additional 5-10 page essay of literary analysis
- Application fee of $60 (checks should be made payable to "The Trustees of Trinity College")
Please use the appropriate application form below and submit it to the Office of Graduate Studies along with any supporting materials.
- For matriculation in the fall: May 1 (notification of decision by June 1)
- For matriculation in the spring: November 15 (notification of decision by January 1)
- Registration deadline for matriculated and non-matriculated students: 1 week prior to the beginning of classes for each term
If your application for matriculation remains incomplete after the appropriate deadline, it will be treated as an application for non-matriculated status and will be converted to an application for matriculation upon completion.
If you apply for matriculation and wish to have up to two graduate courses (6 credit hours maximum) completed elsewhere applied to your degree requirements at Trinity, you must specify the courses on your application form and submit official transcripts. Please bear in mind that other academic regulations may apply to courses transferred from other institutions. Please contact the Graduate Studies Office at 860-297-2527 for further information about transferring credit.