Defrayal of Professional Expenses

For research and publication.  Please see the Faculty Research Committee pages.

Travel to Professional Meetings 

The College encourages members of the faculty to attend and contribute to professional meetings.  Since participation in such activity benefits both the individual and (indirectly) the College, expenses are normally shared between the two parties under guidelines developed below.  Allocations to support faculty travel are provided annually, although, due to the unpredictability of demand, budgeted funds may in some years be insufficient to meet all legitimate needs for assistance.  Consequently, faculty members should discuss their plans as early as possible in the academic year with the Dean of Academic Affairs (DOAA) who oversees the faculty member's department/program.

A. Eligibility: Four categories of participation by full-time, continuing Faculty members are recognized:

  1. Official or voting representative of the College;
  2. Formal presenter of a prepared paper, or recognized discussant, panelist, or convener for a formal session listed in the meeting program;
  3. Attendee (i.e., non-contributor);
  4. Recruiter (normally, at most two per department, per meeting).

B. Reimbursement Schedules: Faculty members who meet the eligibility requirements specified in categories 1, 2 or 4 (above) may receive reimbursement for their registration fees, transportation, and reasonable lodging costs.  The College will not reimburse for meals or provide for per diem funds for travel.  Normally, faculty meeting these requirements in categories 1 or 2 will have their expenses covered in this fashion for one such trip per year.  Conference attendees (category 3 above) may be reimbursed for one-half of their approved travel, registration, and lodging.

For budgetary reasons, the DOAA may find it necessary to limit total expenditures for any single event or by any individual faculty member.  Faculty members may also apply for reimbursement for more than one such trip, but, depending on the budget, it may not be possible to fund the request.  In particular because of steep increases in airfares and the decline in value of the U.S. dollar, it will be very difficult to fund another trip for faculty who plan to travel or who have already traveled outside the continental U.S.

Faculty members whose appointments are less than full-time or who are on one-year appointments may also request assistance from the DOAA, but, depending on the budget, assistance may not be at the same levels as above.  

C. Procedures and Practices: Faculty members wishing to arrange for support of professional travel should submit  a Travel Request Form to the Director of Academic Finance in the Dean of Faculty's Office.  The application must specify the name and location of the conference, the title of the presentation or panel assignment (if applicable) of the attendee, and the likely costs which will be incurred.  Faculty members who fail to apply in advance should not expect reimbursement.

In order to facilitate tracking of funds, applications will be considered on the following schedule: 

  • For travel occurring from November through February, applications should be received no later than October 1. 
  • For travel occurring from March through June, applications should be received no later than February 1. 
  • For travel occurring from July through October, applications should be received no later than June 1. 

In exceptional circumstances the DOAA may approve requests which are made outside the applicable deadline. 

Faculty members whose travel includes countries with U.S. State Department Travel Warnings must submit a signed waiver along with their requests for funding.  Faculty members planning travel abroad, especially travel to a country with a travel warning, are encouraged to contact Eleanor Emerson at (, Acting Director of the Office of Study Away (, for information and support as they plan their travel.  Please note that the Office of Study Away is able to enroll faculty, staff, and students on an inexpensive health insurance policy through HTH Worldwide (that includes emergency evacuation) at a discounted rate; it is highly recommended for all Trinity faculty and staff to enroll in insurance such as this that will cover routine and emergency medical situations, as well as evacuations due to political unrest, natural disaster, etc.

Reimbursement will be made only upon submission to the Director of Academic Finance of a signed, completed copy of the Travel Expense Report form (available here [page 1, page 2]) within 30 days of return to the College, accompanied by a set of proper receipts (where available) from hotels, travel services, credit cards, etc. (note that the expense report form is an Excel spreadsheet which can easily tally and reconcile expenses).  Follow this link for additional reimbursement instructions and this link for a list of non-reimbursable expenses.  In addition, a copy of the entry in the official program of the conference listing the faculty member's contribution should be provided.  As a general rule, travel advances will be provided only when absolutely necessary.  The normal threshold for a travel advance is $1,500 in pre-meeting costs. 

Please note:

  • Approval of reimbursement requests is subject to the continued availability of funds.
  • Applications for reimbursement should be made as early as possible, and in any event  before the listed deadlines.
  • No more than one such trip is guaranteed to be covered in such a fashion.

College Support for Student Travel

 The Dean of Faculty’s Office will provide limited support for travel related to students’ academic programs. 

 A.  Conference expenses for students presenting or co-presenting research that they have conducted at Trinity College will be reimbursed at the rate of 100 percent of transportation costs and registration fees, and 50 percent of lodging.  This support must be requested well in advance of the conference and requests must include a letter of recommendation from the sponsoring faculty member.  Support will normally be limited to one conference per student per year.  Requests should be sent to the Director of Academic Finance in the Dean of Faculty's Office.  Due to the steep increases in airfares and the decline in value of the U.S. dollar, it is unlikely that student travel outside the continental U.S. will be approved.

Students whose travel includes countries with U.S. State Department Travel Warnings must meet with Eleanor Emerson, Director, in the Office of Study Away to discuss the warning, as well as health and safety conditions in the country.  All students studying, conducting research, or doing other college-sponsored activities in a country with a travel warning must submit a signed waiver (a parent must also sign) along with their requests for funding. Students should also sign up through the OSA for HTH Worldwide Insurance, which includes comprehensive medical coverage, including emergency medical evacuation and evacuation for political unrest, etc. This is an inexpensive plan designed to assist students traveling abroad and is very important to have.

 B.  Course-related field trips normally are supported through department and program budgets.  If these funds are insufficient, the dean of faculty may provide supplemental support for such field trips.  Requests for this support should originate with the department chair/program director and be sent to the DOAA who oversees the faculty member’s department/program before the fifth week of the term preceding the proposed trip.