Appendix 6: International Research

If you are planning to do research outside of the United States, you must comply with any existing research requirements of all the countries in which you will be doing research.

The International Compilation of Human Research Protections website is a resource you may consult for known international research protections.

The Trinity IRB will ask for information on the country’s regulations and requirements and, especially in the case of student PIs, request that a formal connection to an educational, research, or government institution be made. (This could be a college/university department or faculty member willing to act as adviser to the Trinity student.)

Faculty PIs may find that a collaboration with an academic in the country of interest will increase the likelihood of permission to do research in that country.