Alternate Route & Graduate School

​Trinity students who complete their undergraduate degree may apply to “alternate route” teaching programs (designed to attract qualified candidates who have not completed traditional certification) and/or graduate school programs (especially those that combine public school teaching certification with an advanced degree). State-approved teaching certification programs vary widely across the United States. For a general directory, see


National-level programs

  • Citizen Schools National Teaching Fellowship – Paid AmeriCorps service opportunity in which fellows provide after school instruction in math or language arts for middle school students; applicants accepted into the Fellowship may later apply for the Citizen Schools Teaching Residency, a selective program which allows Fellows to earn teaching certification at partnering graduate schools. 
  • Institute for Recruitment of Teachers (IRT) Designed to diversify the pool of prospective K-12 and university faculty, by assisting college students and recent alumni in the graduate school admissions process for advanced degrees in teaching, counseling and administrative careers.
  • Teach for America (TFA) Recruits recent college graduates who commit two years to teach in low-income urban or rural public schools. School districts hire TFA corps members through state-approved alternative certification programs, which require that candidates meet specific requirements and demonstrate proficiency in the grades and subject areas they will teach.


CT Department of Education, specifically Certification information and Links to Educator Preparation Programs

Alternate route certification programs:

  • Connecticut Alternate Route to Teacher Certification (ARC I and II) State-run program designed to attract mid-career professionals into teaching. Requires bachelor’s degree and academic major in subject area to be taught. Certification areas include middle school (grades 4-8), secondary (grades 7-12), music, bilingual, and art (Pre-K-12), and world languages (K-12).
  • The Taft School Teaching Fellowship – Two-year program in which fellows typically teach two courses at the Taft School (a private school) and coach or lead extracurricular activities while completing coursework toward a subsidized Master’s degree in Education from the University of Pennsylvania's Graduate School of Education. 

Graduate-level and undergraduate certification programs:



Graduate-level programs, including:

District-based alternate route programs, including:

New Jersey

NJ Department of Education, specifically the Licensure & Credentials website for alternate route and traditional certification, and NJ Hire website for educators

New York State

Alternate certification programs, including:

  • East Harlem Teacher Residency – Teaching Residents work alongside a Mentor Teacher and support classroom instruction and operations in an East Harlem public charter school while pursuing a Master’s degree in Childhood Education at the Hunter College School of Education.
  • KIPP Empire Teaching Fellowship – Fellows are mentored and advised by a permanent KIPP teacher for one year while completing coursework toward a Master’s degree in Education through the Relay Graduate School of Education.      
  • New York City Teaching Fellows – Recruits recent college graduates with no prior teaching experience to teach in New York City public schools while pursuing a partially subsidized Master’s degree in Education. 
  • NYU and Great Oaks Tutor Corps Teacher Residency Program – Participants work as a middle school tutor through the Great Oaks Foundation while studying to become a certified English teacher through NYU Steinhardt’s Department of Teaching and Learning.
  • The New Visions for Public Schools/Hunter College Urban Teacher Residency – Fourteen-month residency in which participants work in New York City public schools observing teacher mentors and leading their own student support classes while also pursuing a subsidized Master’s degree in Education from Hunter College. 
  • Teaching Opportunity Program (TOP)
  • The Relay Graduate School of Education Teaching Residency – Two-year program in which residents work under close supervision of a Resident Advisor teacher in a New York City public school while simultaneously completing coursework at Relay toward a Master’s degree in Education.   
  • Teaching Residents at Teachers College, Columbia University – Eighteen-month graduate level program that recruits secondary-level teachers seeking certification in Science Education, Teaching Students with Disabilities, and Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages; participants begin their residency eight months into their coursework at Columbia.  
  • and many others — see Office of Teaching Initiatives listing above

Graduate-level programs, including: 

  • Bard College - Master of Arts in Teaching Program for secondary school
  • Colgate University – Master’s of Arts in Teaching for secondary school
  • Fordham University – See also Master of Science in Education Intern Fellowship Program.  Has elementary and secondary certification programs

Alternate certification programs, including:

Graduate programs for teacher certification, such as:

Rhode Island

Graduate programs for teacher certification, such as:

Washington, DC

Alternate certification programs, including:

Several charter schools in Washington DC offer teaching fellowship positions. Some incorporate teaching certification into the fellowship, while others just provide teaching experience for college graduates.

Graduate programs for teacher certification, such as:

additional information to come. . .