1. Acquire a knowledge and understanding of fundamental visual experiences and concepts basic to many forms and fields of art.
Students will understand and use the elements and principles of art (line, color, texture, shape) in order to communicate their ideas.
2. Be capable of expressing one’s personal experience and thought with visual skill and clarity.
3. Develop a critical appreciation of historical and contemporary art.
4. Develop technical skills through use of materials and processes necessary to activities in the visual arts in relation to expressing ideas and concepts.
Students will reveal through their own artwork understanding of how art mediums and techniques influence their creative decisions.
5. Develop verbal and communication skills necessary to activities in the visual arts including the ability to talk clearly and thoughtfully about their own art as well as the art of others.
Through critiques students will respond critically to a variety of works of art connecting the individual work to other works and to other aspects of human endeavor and thought.
6. Acquire knowledge of diverse cultural traditions and global perspectives through the study and practice of art.
Students will develop an understanding of the personal and cultural forces that shape artistic communication and how the arts shape the diverse cultures of past and present society.