1) An appreciation and understanding of music in its historical and cultural contexts.
2) An understanding of, and ability to manipulate, the materials of music (including rhythm, harmony, melody, and form).
3) A mastery of basic musicianship skills, including sight singing, melodic dictation, and basic keyboard skills.
4) The experience of having performed publicly as a soloist or in a vocal or instrumental ensemble, as well as the experience of having attended performances by professional musicians.
5) The ability to make connections between music and other disciplines within the liberal arts curriculum.