1. Develop critical and analytic skills in reading primary and secondary sources.
2. Construct a framework of knowledge about the past , learn to understand the past in its own terms, and develop an empathetic understanding of disparate histories and cultures as constituting common threads of human experience.
3. Understand how historians construct arguments about the past and learn how to do the same.
4. Craft well-developed essays that make arguments about the past based on effective use of evidence.
5. Pursue independent research based on primary and secondary sources.
6. Engage in discussion about the past respectfully, mindfully, and knowledgeably.