1. Develop the ability to read and understand the primary chemical literature.
2. Develop research and analytical skills.
3. Learn how to work both independently and cooperatively.
4. Learn how to communicate chemistry and biochemistry clearly, coherently and effectively using both written and oral expression.
5. Develop the ability to analyze data using mathematics.
6. Develop a knowledge and understanding of how chemicals and chemical processes can be handled safely.
7. Develop scientific literacy.