THE CONNECTICUT HISTORICAL SOCIETY
1 Elizabeth Street
Hartford, CT 06105
AGENCY FUNCTION: The Connecticut Historical Society is a private, not-for-profit museum, library, research and educational center. Our mission is to inspire and foster a life-long interest in history through exhibitions, programs, and Connecticut-related collections, because improving knowledge of the past enhances understanding of the present and the ability to meet the challenges of the future. Founded in 1825, CHS houses an extensive and comprehensive Connecticut-related collection of manuscripts, printed material, artifacts and images that document social, cultural, and family history.
INTERN ACTIVITIES: Various – interns work in every department of CHS (Collections, Administration, Research Center, Public Outreach, Education, etc.) and placement is contingent on staffing needs. Typically, should there be an institutional need, internships can be designed to compliment and foster students’ professional and academic goals, while, at the same time, assist in the betterment of CHS.
One example is an internship with our map collection in our Graphics Department. The purpose of this internship is to assist the Curator of Graphics with routine operations and/or special projects involving CHS’s collection of maps. Duties may include research, documentation, accessioning, digitization, cataloguing, and collections maintenance.
- Must have a valid email address that is checked regularly
- Must be able to lift 20 pounds
- Professional demeanor and attitude
- Strong research and writing skills
- Great attention to detail and organizational skills
- Basic computer skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and the internet
- Works well with others/superior customer service (internal or external)
- Ability to follow directions and to work independently.
- Interest in history/museums
- Careful handling of collection items
- Interest in art history, studio art/architecture/photograph or museum studies
Training and/or Preparation: Ideal candidate will be majoring in art history, American studies, geography, or museum studies and/or will have some previous experience working with museum collections.
HOURS PER WEEK: 8- 10
INTERNSHIP AVAILABLE: FALL: Yes; SPRING: Yes; SUMMER: Yes